Wide Epicanthis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide Epicanthis

In my efforts to discover who my grandparents were, I suddenly remembered today that when I asked my late mother about this, she said "remember you have a large epicanthis"

Also, when I went to the optician once - in about 1975!- I had to have glasses frames specially made and flown in from Germany (whereupon I immediately accidentally trod on them! :D), on the basis that I had such a large epicanthis.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

Is this any help: Epicanthic fold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sarah

Comment

Is this any help?

Inheritance

Children who have one parent with a pronounced epicanthic fold as non-medical reason and one without can have varying degrees of epicanthic fold.
      (Source- wikpedia)

Comment

snap!!

Comment

Thank you, Sarah & Tessie

That certainly fits in with my theory of of having some "ethnic" background.

But the optician told me that it was because of the wide epicanthus that my eyes are are a long way apart - i.e. the bridge of my nose is very wide

Am not sure that that quite fits in with what Wikipedia says - it's very confusing!

I had thought that at least one of my grandparents might have been Afro-Caribbean, which would have fitted in with the broad bridge of the nose

Ah well!
          Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 07-03-09, 17:21.
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

When it was thought that my baby daughter had a squint the doctor at the eye infirmary said that she had a 'wide epicanthic fold' and not a squint!
            Last edited by sjross; 07-03-09, 17:52. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thank you, Sjross.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but were her eyes, like mine, spaced an unusually far distance apart?
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I was told the same as sjross, regarding my son as an infant.

I don't think his eyes are unusually far apart now, as an adult.

Comment

My brother has a very markedly wide epicanthic fold. He was also born with a severe squint which needed surgery to correct it.

No one else, that is, not me, not my parents, not my children,not his children, have/had this fold. My mother wasn't an alcoholic, lol. My eldest daughter does have very short upper eyelids, if that makes sense and the fold is almost invisible when she closes her eyes.

Interesting though, as I have always thought my mother must have had distantly Mongolian Ancestors - we have high flat cheek bones, very pale skin and very dark hair and we are all sturdily built, lol. I do know that my mtDNA probably came to this country via Iceland.

Not much help to you, is it. But I do think some physical characteristics can be either just a one off, OR a recessive trait coming out after many generations.

OC

Comment

A regressive trait ? More than likely. We definitely have this on my maternal side. My mother always insisted she had Irish and Spanish ancestors although I have yet to prove this, certainly where Spanish is concerned. However, her mother had an Irish surname at birth and her mother also although all born in England. BUT one of my aunts was a 'dead ringer ' for a very well-known Irish actress. A magazine interview with the actress, many years ago, included early photographs of her and we had one of my aunt in which she was virtually identical. The photo laid alongside one of the magazine photos enabled me to fool people into thinking we were related and led to great astonishment when I admitted it was just a coincidence. I've also been asked !which part of Ireland I'm from, as well, with Derry being the most popular choice by my interrogators. I'm not a bit like my late aunt, either !

Comment

Working...
                    X