WW1 record search help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 record search help please

Please could I have help or suggestions.

I'm looking for WW1 records for a George Nelson (b-Jan/1889, d-1973) in Bilton (Knaresborough/Harrogate). I believe that his nickname was 'Ruggie'. His father was Francis (Frank) and mother Elizabeth.

Please could someone point me in the right direction (links, etc..)

If you have an ancestry sub you can have a look on there!

Comment

what county does bilton come under?

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
        what county does bilton come under?
        I presume it's one of the two in Yorkshire (East Riding), there's another one in Warwickshire.

Comment

I have checked the first George Nelson b1889 - Bridlington. He's not the one
          Sam

Comment

Bilton (Knaresborough/Harrogate) were in West Yorkshire but now North Yorkshire.

I've had a bit of a look but without much luck.

I did notice the Bridlington chap but he's not the one, the father (Arthur) is wrong.

I'm struggling! Is there anywhere else I can look?

Comment

does he have a middle name?

Comment

Hi tessie, I'm not aware of a middle name. Not on his birth or marriage cert's anyway.

I'm afraid I have to go out now ... sorry ... will catch up later

Comment

Not all WW1 army papers have survived (in fact, a lot haven't), and also if he stayed in the army for more than a few years after the end of WW1 his papers wouldn't be at TNA but held by the M o D. But if he served abroad there should be a medal index card for him at least - the problem would be picking out which one is him if you don't have info about which regiment he served in and his rank.

If you know the address where his family lived then maybe you could get someone to look him up in the Absent Voters Roll for that town (if it has survived) as that should have his regiment and number.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite, I've been told that "Apparently he was in the West Yorkshire Regiment". I don't know where he served though or his rank.

I know his address in 1911 and 1924 but not between. I could guess where his family were at the time though. I will see if I can get someone to do a check on the Absent Voters Roll, if it still exists.

Many thanks for your help. :D

Comment

John,

If he was from Bilton (Harrogate/Knaesborough) then he most probably joined either the 49th or 62nd Divisions in one of the "West Riding" or "West Yorkshire" Regiments.

If you can't find a Medal Record Card i.e. It's one of the "Burnt" documents you could try the "Duke of Wellingtons Regimental Museum" in York, they have a very good Archivist working there who may be able to help you.

David

Comment

Sorry, wrong Museum!

It's this one:

Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire Museum
                        3 Tower Street,
                        York,
                        YO1 9SB

Tel: 01904 461010

Fax: 01904 658824

Email:
                        yorksregtaffairs@btconnect.com

Web:
                        Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire

Curator:
                        Major ML Sullivan

Comment

Thank you very much for that information David. As I don't live local I will see if I can get someone to pay a visit to York.

I'm still looking for record cards but haven't had any success yet.

Edit: Noted your amendment, thank you

Comment

John,

There are two other Nelsons listed on the Harrogate War Memorial, could they be related?

GENUKI: Harrogate, War Memorial transcription

David

Comment

John,

This might be him!

Description
                              Medal card of Nelson, George
                              Corps Regiment No Rank
                              West Riding Regiment 325011 Private
                              Army Ordnance Corps 036400 Private
                              Date 1914-1920
                              Catalogue reference WO 372/14links to the Catalogue
                              Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
                              Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
                              Piece Mill J - Nolan P
                              Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1
                              Image Reference

Format and Version

Part Number

Size (KB)

Number of Pages

Price (£)
                              199167 / 37574 PDF 1.2 1 333 1 2.00
                              Total Price (£) 2.00

Comment

Thank you for the link, I've just had a look now.
                                On the memorial ...

I don't know of an R. Nelson but that's not to say there isn't a connection.

George's father was an F. Nelson (Francis/Frank). Only thing is I have Francis (George's father) as died 1916, Knaresborough so I guess the one on the memorial is probably not closely related.

Comment

Hi David, You're too quick for me. :D Will just have a look at you last post now.

Comment

This should take you to his medal record card on Ancestry!!!!

Comment

Ok, lets try again!

George Nelson - British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

That's great, got it! It certainly is a good possibility. I guess that I should now be able to use the regimental number to search for further information and hopefully confirm that he is my chap.

Thank you very much for all your help. It's very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                        X