Why was he in prison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was he in prison?

I think I have found my grandfather on the 1911 census in Pentonville Prison. I have no idea why he was there if in fact it was him, I think it is him.

I don't have access to any Newspaper archives online. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas how I can find out more about why he was there.

His name is John Kendall born 1888, Bethnal Green.

I have access to The Times, but like others, haven't been able to find anything in there. The Gale 19th C newspaper site only goes up to 1900, so no help there either.

I was wondering if there's anything here that might help?

Idea Store - Created and Managed by Tower Hamlets Council - Information- Local Studies / Archives- Local Studies Newspapers, Magazines and Newsletters

Some of the papers cover the right time frame.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I think I'll be on a wild goose chase but I will have to go to the Local Library newspaper archives. But I'm not convinced they'll be anything in them I expect they only report on notorious cases or high profile ones. I expect he was in there for something petty, drunk and disorderly, fighting or taking illegal bets.

Comment

Maggie,

There are microfilms of local East End papers at the Bancroft Library, just down the road from Stepney Green station.

Comment

If you can find the Pentonville prison registers that will tell you. Most prs are at Kew.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
          X