possible twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible twins

Please could someone tell me, when twins are registered to they have consecutive numbers on the birth reg ie..

joe bloggs 8a 889 chorlton
    mary bloggs 8a 890 chorlton

its just that i may have found my ancestor on bmd and ive heard something about female called kate/katherine, there is a birth reg in the same year quarter district for this female as well as my ancestor but the numbers arnt consecutive, so thats why im asking.

thanks
    janet

They would have either the same, or consecutive page numbers IF both were registered on the same day.

I would imagine the only reason for not registering twins on the same day would be if one died shortly after birth. Deaths have to be registered within six days, so they may have registered the birth at the same time but forgotten to register the twin and gone back later.

Not very likely though, is it.

OC

Comment

thanks for your reply, i thought that they would more than likely have consecutive or close numbers, maybe she isnt his twin, ive just had so many problems trying to find this ancester, i did however find him aged 8 in the 1911 census with his father no mother, father living as lodger and stated as single, there is some discrepency over his birth name, platt or melia, i did find him in the electoral roll in i think 1925ish before he got married and he his living with a woman called kate, not sure if this is his mother or a sister, i havent a clue, i know he was 1902 by his marriage n death cert, ive found some in 1902 in both platt and melia, i think i will have to send for some birth certs

Comment

Not very many women had the vote in 1925, only householders who owned the freehold of their property (forty shilling freeholders) and were over the age of 30, so I doubt very much if Kate would be his sister.

OC

Comment

If Kate/Katherine isn't with the family in 1911 have you looked for her elsewhere or looked for a death? (you would also need to check how many Kate/Katherines there were born around the same time/area!

Statistically, the chances are greater of having the same page number than one number different as each page of the birth register contained 10 birth registrations, so for twins to be registered with different page numbers they would have to be the 10th and 11th or 20th and 21st (etc) children registered.

Comment

OH's mother is a fraternal twin and they are registered.

Girl - 1C 1006
            Boy -1C 1007

Comment

Maggie

So, bottom of page 1006, top of page 1007.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                They would have either the same, or consecutive page numbers IF both were registered on the same day.

I would imagine the only reason for not registering twins on the same day would be if one died shortly after birth. Deaths have to be registered within six days, so they may have registered the birth at the same time but forgotten to register the twin and gone back later.

Not very likely though, is it.

OC
                OC, I don't think that would happen - they would either register the death and both births all at the same time, or just the death then go back to register both births together later.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If I'm looking at the right entries, then Katherine Melia Jun 1902 could be the twin of Mary Melia as they do have the same page number as each other (820) and also the same reference number as each other on Lancashire BMD (sub-district Ardwick), but the page number is a long way from John's so he must be from a different family.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kate

As I said, hardly likely, is it, but just possible!

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X