who are they to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who are they to me?

I am sure this has already been tackled at some point but is there anywhere that I can use that helps me work out who my ancestors are to me i.e uncle,aunt, cousin, gt uncle, gt aunt, gt cousin etc?

uncle and aunt are your parents' siblings. Gt uncle and aunt are your parents aunts and uncles.

No such thing as a great cousin. The child of one of your parents' siblings is your 1st cousin. If you and the cousin have children, then you and the cousin's child are 1st cousins once removed. Your child and your cousin's child are 2nd cousins.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Relationship Calculator
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

what about ggg grandfather's daughter's children? ggg grandfather's brother would be ggg uncle?

Comment

ggg grandfather's brother would be ggg uncle?
          No, the uncle would have an extra great.

Your grandfather's brother is your great-uncle

Your great-grandfather's brother is your great-great-uncle

Your great-great-grandfather's brother is your great-great-great-uncle etc

Comment

what about ggg grandfather's daughter's children
            1st cousin three times removed? (assuming you are not descended from the ggg grandfather's daughter!!)

Comment

thanks, still confusing!!!

Comment

Tessie,

have a look here..

there are various bits and bobs there...
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

copy from the gr board a long time ago

The Right Name For The Cousin

Conversation on the subject 'who is related to whom' bogs down over terminology, particularly when it comes to defining cousins.

Your first cousin is your parents' brother's or sister's child. However, the first cousin's child is not your second cousin, but your first cousin one removed. The child of the first cousin once removed is your first cousin twice removed, and his child is your first cousin three times removed.

Your second cousin is your grandparents' brother's or sister's grandchild. That second cousin's child is your second cousin once removed, and his child is your second cousin twice removed, and so on.

Your third cousin is your great-grandparents' brother's or sister's great-grandchild. The third cousin's child is your third cousin once removed, and his child is your third cousin twice removed.

Other Occasionally Misunderstood Terms

Siblings: Parents in common, brothers and sisters

Grandnephew and Grandniece: the grandchild of your brother or sister

Grandaunt or Granduncle: the brother or sister of your grandparent

Great-Grandaunt or Great-Granduncle: the sister or brother of your great-grandparents

Stepfather or Stepmother: the husband of your mother or the wife of your father by a subsequent marriage

Stepchild: the child of your husband or wife by a former marriage

Stepsister or Stepbrother: the child of your stepfather or stepmother

Half Sister or Half Brother: the child of your mother and stepfather or the child of your father and stepmother, or of either parent by a former marriage

In-Laws: your connections by the law of marriage (as distinct from relatives by blood) in particular, your husband's or wife's relatives and your own brother's wife or sister's husband

Ancestor: the person from whom you descend directly, such as a grandparent or a great-grandparent

Descendant: the person who descends directly from you, such as a grandson or granddaughter

Lineal Relations: those in a direct line of ascent or descent, such as a grandfather or granddaughter

Collateral Relations: those relatives who are linked by a common ancestor, such as aunts, uncles, or cousins

Connexions: those who have a relative in common but who are not themselves related by blood.

Now the Easy Version :

Brothers and Sisters Siblings
                  Children 1st cousins
                  Grandchildren 2nd Cousins
                  Great grandchildren 3rd Cousins
                  Gt Gt grandchildren 4th Cousins
                  Gt Gt Gt grandchildren 5th Cousins
                  Gt Gt Gt Gt grandchildren 6th Cousins

One generation before or after, is “Once Removed”
                  Two generations before/after are “Twice Removed”, etc.

These days most people do not use the term “Grand niece” or “Grand nephew”, or Grand Great Niece etc. The word Grand has been popularly replaced by Great.

The children of your Auntie Mary and her husband Uncle Fred are your first cousins.
                  Uncle Fred has a sister Agatha who is married to Bert. The children of Agatha and Bert are first cousins to the children of your Auntie Mary & Uncle Fred.
                  However, you are not related by blood to the children of Agatha & Bert. Such ‘relationships’ are Connexions.
                  wye surrey/london/birmingham
                  lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                  hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                  ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                  herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                  armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                  X