Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Head Hurts!!!

I'm after some more help please?

I've hit yet another brick wall, I'm looking for the Birth/Baptism record of my GG Grandmother Mary Ann Loates (Loats or Lotes). I've at last found my GG Grandfathers Baptism record on the "Freereg" Site, many thanks to Berlin-Bob for that lead, but I can't find Marys on any site. I've tried all the main sites, the IGI Index , Genes Reunited and many others.

The Census records have her as born in St Andrew the Less in Cambridge around 1853 to 1859 but, her wedding certificate shows her age as 19 in 1872 i.e. 1853. I've ordered the most likely candidate from the GRO but that gives her father as Robert!!!!

Her wedding certificate gives her father as John Loats (Loates) and the only census record that would give a better idea, the 1861 census doesn't exist!

There is however, one possibility on the Parish Record Collection that fits both the Fathers name and the general address but, it would mean that she was 14 when she got married which, although not impossible seems a little far fetched and also, she lied about her age to the registrar and their first child was born in the April-June quarter of the following year (there may have been a shotgun involved!)

Has anybody out there got any ideas where I could look next?

David

Is this the 1861 census?
    RG9; Piece: 1024; Folio: 20; Page: 34
    transcribed as Soates
    Elaine

Comment

Have you looked at this birth registration on freeBMD?

Births Mar 1855
      Lotens Mary Ann
      Cambridge 3b 457

It is a very poor image and could well be Lotes, rather than Lotens
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

Didn't try Lotens! that's a new one, I did try phonetic on Loates but it didn't come up with that one.

I'll give it a try.

David

Comment

It's a really bad image - you might like to check the reference number before you order.
          Elaine

Comment

The Cambridgeshire birth index says Lotes:

Births

Comment

Well done Mary - I didn't realise they were online.

David, you might be better off ordering it from the Cambridgeshire RO rather than the GRO as the GRO image is so bad, it's difficult to be sure you have the right reference.
              Elaine

Comment

Thank you Ladies, I've just ordered a copy from the Cambridge Records office hopefully it's the right one?

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGreenall110 View Post
                  Thank you Ladies, I've just ordered a copy from the Cambridge Records office hopefully it's the right one?
                  Cambridge Register Office I hope. The abbreviation RO for both is rather unfortunate in this hobby.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Just a quick note to say thanks to you all.

Have in my hands the aforementioned Birth Certificate from CCC Register Office for a Mary Ann Lotes (yet another spelling!) for 4th Jan 1855. Fathers name John mothers name Elizabeth.

Thanks again

David

Comment

Working...
                    X