Interesting death certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting death certificate

I received three more death certificates today.

My Mum did lots of research into her family and bought certificates to get further back. However, some she did not buy because she knew the date of marriage or death from family (her mother in particular).

However, an interesting one arrived this morning.

John Quintrell died 11th April 1906.

Cause of death:
    "Shock from injuries to the head brought about by his having accidentally fallen over the bannisters into the hall below at 103 Francis Avenue Southsea on the 8th of the same month"

"Certificate received from T.A. Bramsdon Coroner for Portsmouth
    Inquest held Twelfth April 1906"

I wonder if the inquest papers survive.

My mum obviously didn't know about the cause of death. John was my grandmother's grandfather. My grandmother was 14 at the time, so might not have known about this.

Edit: I have just realised that the Coroner is also in my tree - a descendant of my 3x great grandfather Aaron Hatch!
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 06-03-09, 08:47.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

You might find an inquest report in the local paper.
    I have one with cause of death "Accidentally suffocated by falling upon her face on a bed when seized with a fit of coughing" and found the inquest reported in the Liverpool Mercury.
    Sarah

Comment

Sarah, It's odd that I have never come across it because I have found John Quintrell in lots of newspapers before as he was Master of the Portsea Island Workhouse for quite a while.

However, as this is 1906 it might be the explanation - some sites stop at 1900, I think.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes I think the Gale site stops at 1900.

At first I couldn't find the inquest for my 4x-great-grandmother mentioned in my previous post - it didn't come up when I searched her name. So I just searched for coroner or inquest or something, and browsed the results for dates shortly after the date of the inquest (in 1868). The newspaper had called her Alice Tapson instead of Alice Jopson - so even the newspapers made transcription errors! :D
        Last edited by Cloggie; 06-03-09, 09:07.
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
          Sarah, It's odd that I have never come across it because I have found John Quintrell in lots of newspapers before as he was Master of the Portsea Island Workhouse for quite a while.

However, as this is 1906 it might be the explanation - some sites stop at 1900, I think.
          Looks like a trip to central library for you then LOL. Hope you find something in the papers for this.

EDIT* Just seen that you are in Herts? I can go to central library in Portsmouth for you in a few weeks if you can wait that long. Jules
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Jules, yes I'm in Herts.

If you could look up the inquest I'd be really grateful (no rush, so whenever is convenient with you). It would be great to find out what happened.

Funnily, I checked my Mum's notes and she had that he died at 1 am, which wasn't on the death certificate. My Gran was a big stickler for "hatches, matches and dispatches", as was her mother, so I have to thank them for that.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Jules, yes I'm in Herts.

If you could look up the inquest I'd be really grateful (no rush, so whenever is convenient with you). It would be great to find out what happened.

Funnily, I checked my Mum's notes and she had that he died at 1 am, which wasn't on the death certificate. My Gran was a big stickler for "hatches, matches and dispatches", as was her mother, so I have to thank them for that.
              Can you send me a PM to remind me to look next time I'm there, just incase I can't find this thread again.

any details you think I should know, just put them in the pm and I will do my best.
              Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks, Jules - PM on its way.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                  Can you send me a PM to remind me to look next time I'm there, just incase I can't find this thread again.

any details you think I should know, just put them in the pm and I will do my best.
                  Jules,

if you look in thread tools sorta middle right at the top of the thread, you can subscribe to this thread and get email notifications when someone replies to it
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    Jules,

if you look in thread tools sorta middle right at the top of the thread, you can subscribe to this thread and get email notifications when someone replies to it
                    Thanks for that. Might come in handy.
                    Jules

Comment

Elizabeth, I have a couple of interesting newspaper reports for you regarding this death. I got them printed for you so pm me your email address and I'll send them over.
                      Jules

Comment

Thanks, Jules. I have sent you a pm.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                        X