Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartlett Family , Devon and Wales

Hi All

I stumbled by chance on the name Prothirzda Bartlett on the Forum. Prothirdza is such an unusual name . She is in our family tree . She married James Southwood Dec Quarter 1848 and had possibly nine children. Prothirdiza died in Pontypridd Wales in 1900.
    Is any one else researching the Bartlett, Southwood, Ferguson and Williams Names from Devon and Wales . We would love to make contact.

Chrissy and John

If you click on the Wiki on the toolbar - then top on getting started on the wiki

Scroll down to the Surname Directory and hopefully you'll find others researching the same names.
    Last edited by JBee; 06-03-09, 00:05.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi John & Chrissy. Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Prothirzda was my wife's 2 x great grandmother through her daughter Ann Rowden Southwood.
      Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Re Prothirzda Southwood

Prothirzda was my grandmother's grandmother. Prothirzda's daughter, Ellen, married John Ferguson in 1874. They lived in Caerphilly, Glamorgan, where John was a stonemason and then in Neath where he was a quarry manager. Their son, George, became Lord Mayor of Cardiff and if you google this name a short Pathe film can be seen of him during the ceremony of the handing over of Cardiff Castle by Lord Bute to Cardiff City Corporation. Ellen's daughter, my grandmother, Harriet Alice Ferguson, was born in 1888 and, after her marriage to John James Norris in 1911, spent most of her life in Cardiff. She died in 1981. My mother Charlotte carries the name Ferguson as one of her christian names - as does my brother. Not sure how much you knew of this - apologies if it's old news!

Comment

hi mary
          Thank you for the the update. No we did not know your "Old News"?? and have updated our tree.
          John's Ggrandfather John Maddick Bartlett was the brother of Prothirzda, their father being Samuel Bartlett and mother Ann Rowden. I have found five children of the union who were all born in Devon. It would appear that some of the families moved to Wales.
          We were in Wales last year and met another branch of the Family the Hartlands one of whom was also Mayor of Cardiff in 1964.
          We spent several days in Cardiff before going to stay in Pen y Bryn near Abergwyngregyn. It is a very old house and so steeped in history
          said to be the Royal seat of Llywelyn the Last.Do you know where the name Prothirzda came from. it is so unusual. Cheers Chrissy and John

Comment

Mark, et al.,
            I came across these posts when I entered Prothirzda in Google. I, too, am her 2 Great Granddaughter, through Ann Rowden Southwood's daughter Ellen Ann Cole who, yes, was born in Wales and married a Williams (!). I would be very interested in any information you might have about the Southwoods, Rowdens, Coles, and Williams families, and will happily share my own.
            Joanne

Comment

Joanne, welcome to the forum.
              Mark, maryevs and John & Chrissy do not appear to have visited the forum for some time. Can I suggest that you send them a private message - click on their usernames to the left of each post and you will see the message option. They will receive email notification that a message has been sent, providing of course their email address is still current!
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine,
                Thanks for the welcome and the tip. I'll pm them shortly.
                Joanne

Comment

Working...
                X