No announcement yet.

Thinking outside the box for this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking outside the box for this one?

I'm helping my (birth) brother with his family history and I'm getting really frustrated because I can't find the death of his grandfather. He's pretty certain that he is dead because he doesn't remember him at all from his childhood, whereas he remembers his grandmother well. Also, his Dad told him that his grandfather was killed when he got hit on the head with a cricket ball (of course I realise this could be family lore!).

I think he most likely died between 1943 and 1968 but I've looked, quarter by quarter, right up to 2006 and found nothing.

The surname is DOW and I've looked at both Dow and Daw.

Has anyone got any bright ideas as to why I can't find him, or what other mistranscriptions I could try?

Thanks
    Mandy

How would you pronounce it Mandy??

maybe reg'd as DOE?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

does he have his grandmothers death cert? does this state 'widow of...'
      Julie

Comment

Thanks, Julie. It's pronounced to rhyme with 'how' but I'll check Doe anyway. He doesn't have his grandmother's death cert but she was living in a nursing home near brother when she died, whereas she'd lived in London with his grandad.

On his Dad's marriage cert, it doesn't say deceased for his father but he's listed by his middle name, which he was known as, rather than his correct name. I know that the registrar wouldn't have written down 'deceased' unless he/she was specifically told.
        Mandy

Comment

Just had a thought, going to look at 'Down' as well!
          Mandy

Comment

mmm well just depends if the person that reg'd the death 'knew' his proper name?.... doesnt it.

Julie

Comment

If the cricket ball story is true, then there would have been an inquest wouldn't there?
              Mandy

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy in Wiltshire View Post
                If the cricket ball story is true, then there would have been an inquest wouldn't there?
                I guess yes, it might also have made the local papers..

I think for there to have been a PM you would have NOT to have seen a doctor 2 weeks prior to death.

not much help am I?
                Julie

Comment

Yes you are, Julie! It's very helpful to have someone just to confirm your thoughts and to bounce some ideas around, thank you!

He might possibly have seen a doctor in the previous two weeks because he was epileptic; brother's father can remember him having a seizure in the crowds at a football match.
                  Mandy

Comment

Do you think he would have left a will? If so then it would be listed in the National Probate Calendar with date and place of death.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'll check that one out too, many thanks Kate.
                      Mandy

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy in Wiltshire View Post
                        Yes you are, Julie! It's very helpful to have someone just to confirm your thoughts and to bounce some ideas around, thank you!

He might possibly have seen a doctor in the previous two weeks because he was epileptic; brother's father can remember him having a seizure in the crowds at a football match.
                        hmm but no real way of knowing for sure... about the doc I mean.

I take it you have had no real luck in finding him
                        Julie

Comment

It's really annoying, Julie, as I usually get there in the end with the post-1900 ones but this guy is eluding me :(
                          Mandy

Comment

Try adding an 'E' and check both Dowe and Dawe. I've not seen Dowe before but I have come across the name Dawe.

Comment

Thanks, G Lass, I'll try that as well. I'm starting to go cross-eyed trawling through quarter by quarter
                              Mandy

Comment

This is not much help, unless he lived in Manchester - but it might help look for other places. I looked for years for the death register entry for my great great grandfather, on freebmd and ancestry. I finally found his burial entry when Manchester City put online their burial indexes. His death registration was never forwarded to the GRO, so he is not in the index. But the Manchester RO gave me the reference for their entry, so I can get a copy.

So, for various reasons, his death registration may not have been forwarded to or recorded in the GRO index. You might need to check more locally, but you will need some idea of dates for them to look.

Diane
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks, Diane, that's very helpful because it did cross my mind that maybe the registration didn't reach the GRO for some reason.

I'm now thinking electoral rolls and cemeteries, and I'm determined to find him somewhere :D
                                  Mandy

Comment

Working...
                                  X