Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a register for Jewish weddings in the UK

Hi

I am trying to research OH's family and have drawn a blank on marriages. Is this because the marriages are under Jewish law and is recorded second under civil law, or have I just missed them?

If the marriages are after 1837 then they should appear in the GRO index.

I'm sure I've seen other threads bemoaning that fact that Jewish ancestors don't use the same names all the time (both forenames and surnames) - I don't know if this would be the reason you can't find what you are after?

Comment

Were any of them United Synagogue?

There is a slowly growing database on line of Marriage Authorisation Certificate Records for the United Synagogue and at the moment it covers 17th February 1880 - 31st December 1889, and is being added too as each years indexing is completed.

Also have burials indexed for their cemeteries, coverage said to be 1700 to the present day.

United Synagogue - Support Services - Find Your Family
      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Names? Likely dates? Places?

Some Jewish marriages at the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, City of London are listed on the IGI.

post-July 1837 marriages should be in the civil registration marriage index. Jewish marriages have to take place under a shelter, but aren't necessarily in a synagogue. Some earlier marriages in my husband's tree took place in bride or groom's house.

The Jewish Genealogical Society library has many transcriptions and records. it's open about twice a month and they ask for donations from non members.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Friend has told me how to search for the marriages and so far I have traced four I was missing. Very time consuming though

Comment

Working...
          X