Electoral roll look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral roll look up

Hi! I've just joined and I'm looking for some advice.
    I am trying to find out about my mother's natural father. Her birth certificate was re-registered a few years after her birth to include the name of her natural father and his address.
    His name is pretty common and I have no idea of his age but I wondered if I might be worth looking at the electoral roll of the year her birth was re-registered.
    This would have been in 1930's. So I have no idea what information was recorded.
    Have any of you used electoral rolls in your research?

i look up the electoral roll for muggins on her thread and it help a lot as it told us who was of vote able age in the house
    then you can check kellys and then the phone book to see how long they live there

i did it at my local main libary and they were helpful as well they sugested kellys as well as the house i was looking for was not on 1932 electoral roll but was in kelly mainly i think cos it had only just been built .

good luck
    wye surrey/london/birmingham
    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

The electoral roll won't give you his age. Only means he was old enough to vote (over 21).

The only way to find his year of birth is from his marriage or birth cert. Also his death cert if he is deceased but these aren't always accurate.

Comment

If you search the electoral roll for that address looking at each year then you should be able to find out when he first appeared at that address and when he disappeared from it. If there are other people of the same surname at the address when he first appears on the list then they could be his parents and it could be the year that he turned 21. All "coulds", though. Oh, or I suppose if he was married to someone else she might be listed at the address too!

Not sure whether his address on the re-registration would be his address at that time or at the time of her birth, but you could try looking at the electoral roll for both years and those in between - when you are at the archives or library looking at the electoral roll for a particular address, you will spend the longest time finding where it is in the listing for one particular year, but then you will know more or less where to look in the other years so they will be much quicker to find.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. I will have to make a journey up to Palmers Green and see what I can find so it may be a few weeks before I get the opportunity.
          This family tree reseach seems to leave more questions than answers!

Comment

Working...
          X