Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northumberland help please!

I am confused!!

I have been trying to find information about where parish records are held for Alnwick in Northumberland. Maybe the Berwick on Tweed RO? Or perhaps somwhere called "Woodhorn" which I'm a bit vague about - is that the name of the main Northumberland RO and if so where is that?

Anyway, I'm really desperate for a look up of a baptism that took place in Alnwick in 1802 and if the information on that bap is what I'm hoping, then another bap in 1770.

I don't suppose anyone knows where these records would be held? (Yes, I have looked in the Wiki!) And I don't suppose anyone from this site ever visits the appropriate RO?

Thanks for reading

Try the rootsweb mailing list, Merry

No, sorry, not travelling in that direction; though I was near you the other day
    Joy

Comment

Merry, I don't know the answer sorry, but would be very interested to hear which RO it is, as I might be visiting Northumberland myself sometime later in the year.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Joy, I'm sure that's a good tip, but I don't understand Rootsweb!

lol Jules - I only discovered where Northumberland is last week!! My geography is rubbish :(

Comment

Northumberland Rec Office is at Woodhorn, Ashington, Northumberland see link

Northumberland County Council Service Page

The Durham BTs on the new LDS site have Alnwick BTs 1777 - 1890.

FamilySearch Record Search

Comment

Info taken from Northumberland County Council website:

"There is some duplication of holdings between the Woodhorn and Berwick-upon-Tweed offices and as a consequence some sources are available to view at both offices. For example, original parish registers are held at Woodhorn and microfilm copies of those that relate to north Northumberland are held at Berwick. We therefore recommend that researchers with an interest in sources that relate to north Northumberland consult staff at either Berwick-upon-Tweed or Woodhorn who will be pleased to advise upon the location of records."

Contact info:
            Northumberland Collections Service,
            Woodhorn,
            Queen Elizabeth II Country Park,
            Ashington,
            Northumberland
            NE63 9YF

01670 528080

Berwick-upon-Tweed Record Office,
            Council Offices,
            Wallace Green ,
            Berwick-upon-Tweed,
            Northumberland
            TD15 1ED

01289 301865

It looks as though you are best to phone them and ask!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite and modem.

Comment

Searching the archives, I see that some others have posted there about Alnwick.
                RootsWeb: Genealogy Mailing Lists: England : NORTHUMBRIA

I always subscribe to the digest form, then you receive several posts in one email. Most of my contacts have come from mailing lists.

Happy hunting.
                Joy

Comment

Merry, there is very little information held at Berwick relating to Alnwick and parts of Northumberland south of Alnwick. Alnwick registers are held at Woodhorn, I'm assuming your talking parish registers, rather than non conformist? If so I'm pretty sure that Alnwick Parish church has not been transcribed and anyone doing a look up will have to go through the Microfilm to find the event.
                  I have a disc somewhere with Alnwick births, marriages and possibly deaths transcribed, not sure of the dates it covers but I'll dig it out and have a look if you want?

Comment

Hi Keptin,

I would be really greatful if you could have a look. I've been reading about the 1798-1812 records here:

Alnwick - Manuscripts

As you see, it's likely there will be more info than is available on the IGI. I have the baptism dates from Family Search, but am desperately hoping there will be more information for the 1802 bap.

Thanks for letting me know about Berwick/Woodhorn - I found the local authority website VERY confusing!

Comment

Yes, the Shute Barrington registers, you get lots of details, usualy get an extra generation out of them.
                      I'll have a look for it, though I might not find it tonight, I have a fair idea where it is.

Comment

Ok Merry, I have the disc.

All transcriptions, so make of it what you will.All Alnwick St. Michael's.

Marriages 1750-1765
                        Burials 1748-1778 & 1848-1903
                        Baptisms 1748-1825

Fire away

Comment

Oooh, thanks!!!!

First one:

William NESBITT bap 05 AUG 1802, Alnwick, son of James and Isabella.

Second one:

Isabel NOBLE bap 02 SEP 1770, Alnwick, dau of William (this is presuming the first bap shows Isabella to be a native of Alnwick parish.)

Comment

William Nesbit 5th Aug 1802 James and Isabella (MS Noble),
                            No Occupation given. Abode/Parish Tweedmouth.

Tweedmouth as in Berwick upon Tweed.

Isabel Noble,2nd Sep 1770, d o William, labourer of Hobberlaw.

I'm assuming that Hobberlaw must be in the Alnwick area.
                            Last edited by Keptin Thedark; 05-03-09, 21:54.

Comment

William had a brother called Strother baptised 27th Jan 1805 on that baptism the fathers occupation is given as taylor and abode as Spittal/Native of this Parish.

Spittal is a very small village which adjoins Tweedmouth.
                              Obviously they took their kids 'home' to Alnwick for the baptisms, about 30 miles.

That's strange, two Strother Nesbit's baptised on the same day,27th Jan 1805, described as twins, why give them both the same name?
                              Last edited by Keptin Thedark; 05-03-09, 21:59.

Comment

Thank you so much!!

Hmmmm......just my luck the occ isn't included for the first one! lol

The IGI has a date of birth for William - I wonder where they got that from?

Have you still got the CD in the coffee cup holder? If you have, could you stand any more?

I don't need you to type out the details, just if it's possible to see if there's anything more than in the first one about the parents (like an occ!)

All children of James and Isabella

Jane Nesbitt 27 JAN 1805 Alnwick

Strother (really??) Nesbitt 27 JAN 1805 Alnwick

Margaret Nesbitt 11 SEP 1808 Alnwick

Comment

Originally posted by Keptin Thedark View Post
                                  William had a brother called Strother baptised 27th Jan 1805 on that baptism the fathers occupation is given as taylor and abode as Spittal/Native of this Parish.

Spittal is a very small village which adjoins Tweedmouth.
                                  Obviously they took their kids 'home' to Alnwick for the baptisms, about 30 miles.
                                  lol I was convinced that was a mistranscription!!

Tailor!!!! Hooray!! That's one bit of the puzzle sorted - thanks a lot

The dad was born in Spittal (he lasted until 1851 to tell me that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Keptin Thedark View Post
                                    That's strange, two Strother Nesbit's baptised on the same day,27th Jan 1805, described as twins, why give them both the same name?
                                    The IGI thinks the other one is called Jane! lol Both born 21st Dec 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

The dad was born in Spittal (he lasted until 1851 to tell me that!)
                                      your getting on a bit. i wonder if oc's older than you?

Comment

See the post above for Strother.
                                        margaret transcribed as Nisbet, which is not uncommon and Noble. Taylor. Tweedmouth/This Parish.

Comment

Working...
                                        X