Navy help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy help please?

Thanks to Orange Blossom yesterday for finding Harry Beaumont's ww1 service papers. After reading through the papers best I can (they are worn and torn badly) he joined the Royal Navy in Portsmouth in (from what I can make out) 1919 after 5 yrs in the Army. Is there anywhere I can look for his papers please? I am so happy with the help already over the last two days with my Beaumonts!
    Thanks to everyone!
    Tessie

I have a feeling that if he joined in 1919, his papers probably won't be available to the public but only to next of kin, but I'll have a look around and see what I can find. Do you know how long he served in the Navy, or any other details?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

no thats all the info. I got from his army service records!

Comment

The only database I can see on TNA Documents Online is Register of Seamen's Services but it only goes up to 1923 so if he was in the Navy after that he won't be on there:
        Hopefully this link will take you to it but if not let me know and I'll try to help you get to it:
        The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Refine Browse Criteria

There are ten Harry Beaumonts listed but I would need to know his date and place of birth to know if any of them is yours!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Also look at our Wiki info on the Royal Navy:

The Royal Navy - Family Tree Forum
          KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, it looks as though that TNA database includes people who enlisted up to 1923, rather than left by 1923, so he should be on there.
            KiteRunner

Comment

ok I will have a look thanks. He was born c. 1895 in sheffield

Comment

There is at least one likely entry on there, then - let me know if you need help finding it.
                KiteRunner

Comment

just put his info in and it says no records found! If I contact them will they give me the info as he isn't a direct line?

Comment

Just put in name Harry Beaumont and there are 10 results. The third one was born 18 Dec 1893 Sheffield - could he be yours?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

I am not sure as I have a birth record that he was born 1895! Although his dob on service papers is 1894! Having looked at those papers again he joined army in 1912 aged 18 yrs 1 mth and was discharged to royal navy in 1914! It is a big possibilty that he is mine so I think I will risk te £3.50!

Comment

thanks Kite he IS mine! Now all I need to do is decipher the writing!

Comment

Working...
                        X