• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise about parades held in or before

February or March 1882 ...
    re 1881 census
    Civil Parish: Stretford
    County/Island: Lancashire

Would have marched past on Shrewsbury St & Balmoral Terrace either or as address appears to be a corner address.

I need this information for a magazine article please

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you're asking - do you want to know whether there were any parades there, or do you know there was a parade but you want to know what route it took exactly?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry KiteRunner didn't mean to be cryptic...lol

Word of mouth from my g grandmother to my mother stated that there was a parade and they were all watching from a window and an accident happened with one of the children falling out of the window.

I was wondering if it was an important parade with an historical reference, so I thought, after Googling and finding nothing, I would pick all your remarkable brains and see if one of you could help me clarify this little story please.

Comment

Parades were very popular in those days, can you work out what time of the year the accident happened?

Comment

list of Parades i think of off top of head
          st georges day
          easter
          may day/ may queen
          welcome home war heroes/ queen/kings
          orange marches
          wye surrey/london/birmingham
          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

I wouldn't have thought an orange march, but certainly everything else.....

Comment

There were also just ordinary brass band parades with no special significance. There was a Stretford Temperance Band around 1882.

Just googled the following:

History of the Band
              The band was formed in approximately 1849, and was probably first known as the Stretford Temperance Band as the rehearsal room was at a local church. Later on the band became Stretford Silver and was conducted by many, now famous, conductors and arrangers in the Brass Band world. In his book entitled ‘A History of Stretford’, Samuel Massey notes that at the end of the last century there were two local bands: one was the village band conducted by Tom Shawcross and the other was the church band conducted by Joe Rogerson, who also had two sons in the band.

It may also be of interest that Alexander Owen, the once well-known conductor and adjudicator lived in Stretford Road, Stretford, and is buried in the Stretford Cemetery.

Perhaps you can get hold of a copy of "A History of Stretford"?

Perhaps the interest was just the fact that one of your family was a member of the band, hence the interest?

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 05-03-09, 14:19.

Comment

Hi Barbara.

First of all I better correct an error from when I read the census

the CP and C/I might relate to birth and the correct residence information should read

Registration district: Barton Upon Irwell
                sub registration: Stretford

Sorry about that think I was going cross eyed.

Annie left for Australia 2/2/1882 so the parade would have been around December 1881 or January 1882 I should think.

Comment

oh you have been busy while I was searching my papers and typing...lol

Looking at the approximate time at a guess seem to put my family in Christmas and New Year timing doesn't it.

Comment

There used to be a Stretford Pageant - not sure when it started.

Comment

HI Macpanda

You could try contacting the local council via this Trafford Council they may know of something or be able to point in the direciton of someone who may know better that they.
                      WendyP

Comment

In the Band history I Googled it said the first pageant was in 1919 so that one was a bit late Mary I think.

Janet looks like they would have had to go and listen to the band at the Church Hall the way the history reads.

Comment

Good idea Wendy I'll go look at that now and email them.

Thank you everyone I appreciate your help.

Comment

I have sent off an email to the libraries email address. It looked the most appropriate department to ask the question of. I received the automatic answer that lets you know your email has been received so I think I will go to bed now and see if I have an answer when I get up in the morning.

Thanks again ladies and good night.

Comment

There is a Shrewsbury Street in Old Trafford Manchester which is quite near Stretford
                              PAT

Comment

tinkerbe thank you for your ideas on parades I was a wee bit tired at 2am last night and didn't thank you then sorry.

Pat I was Googling maps trying to find where Shrewsbury and Balmoral would join but Balmoral Terrace doesn't seem to exist anymore. I found Shrewsbury though.

Comment

I got another email from Trafford libraries from a people this time letting me know they would get to my query as soon as they can. I love the way your people over there let you know you are being looked after...over here a lot of the time you hear nothing then out of the blue you get an answer emailed.

Comment

No answer as yet...waiting patiently as I should...lol
                                    Just nudging so thread doesn't get deleted in the housecleaning tomorrow...lol

Comment

Working...
                                    X