Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recognise The Uniform, etc???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Recognise The Uniform, etc???

Hello

This is my first post so i hope i dont mess it up!!...lol Im having trouble identifying this uniform on this man who happens to be my GG Grandfather. He is one of my great grandmothers grandfathers; which one im not sure.....he would have ben born around 1870 give or take 10 years as im trying to find out more about this man. His name was either William Henry Davies or William Watkins. My guess ws that this may have been during the Boar War, if not then WW1, but i am not sure as either men would have been old by then :D:D

I wondered if anyone could help me ientify the photo a bit more, i.e Uniform, Rank, Time of photo, etc....anything that will help me know a bit more about the man of mystery

Thanks All

Sophie

P.S....hw do i put the image on the post to look big?? lol

G.jpg

Hi Sophie,

The insert image and attachment options automatically reduce the file size. To upload a larger photo, you need to host the image on an external site such as Photobucket. Instructions on how to do that can be found in: Reference Information and How to Guides - Family Tree Forum
    Sarah

Comment

Well for a starter he was serving with a mounted regiment, regulars or yoemanry, or a regiment that used horse's like the Army Ordance Corp (later to become the Royal Army Ordance Corp) or the Royal Engineer's. As for the date it could be anywhere between 1905 and 1924. From this image I can not see any rank ensignia or for that matter much else. A higher res' image of the cap badge would be of help as this may give a clue to which regiment.

don

Comment

He is wearing a bandolier which is where he kept his ammo, this was used to keep his hands free.

Comment

ahh lets see if this is better..

Comment

He also has his lanyard on his left shoulder, which makes it pre 1924 I believe. If you look up "origins of the lanyard" it should give you a bit of helpful information....

Comment

With his riding whip and spurs I would suggest that he rode rather than drove if you get what I mean. Unfortunately were the picture has been cleaned and coloured added it has taken out the detail that one would see on the cap badge. However going by the form and shape of it I would discount the R.A. as being his regiment as this would have a cannon surmounted by a crown giving it a triangular appearance whereas this is rounded.

don

Comment

See i always thought he was a corporal by the hat and look of age...i duno..

Comment

Looks very similar to photos I have of my great grandad around 1919, and he was a driver in the Royal Engineers at that time.

Comment

This is the photo I am thinking of, my great grandad is middle row far left. He is still a driver at this point, was made a corporal year after, and has a stripe in those photos. Can't see one on your man, so wouldn't think he'd be a corporal or above.

Comment

Smashing photo Richard, London Lass, do you happen to have the whole photo, the picture you put up appears to be part of a larger one.?

Comment

Richard thats a great photo!!; what regiment, etc was ur grandad in as the look of the cap badge....well it looks like the one my GG Grandfather has...well from wot u can make out from it, its circular shape n all. Ahh barbara i wish i did have the photo but this picture has been passed down 2 me through my G Grandmother; me and my grandmother have been trying to figure out the picture a bit more but with no luck. Id love to know more about him; i know he was a welshman and by his stamina he looks like someone who would give u a rite tellin off :D

Comment

Sophie,

Ignoring the rest of the uniform and looking at the cap badge in particular, we can rule out any of the Artillery Regiments as they have a very distinctive badge showing a Napoleonic cannon. The bandolier suggests that he spent most of his time in the saddle, we would therefore be looking at a mounted Regiment or Divisional Ammunition Column Driver.

The cap badge looks very similar to those of the Guards and Scottish Regiments so I would possibly start there if you can make the badge out any clearer.

As for the white lanyard, there are many theories, the first relates to the Artillery and to deserting the guns at the battle of Colenso during the Boer Wars, but this doesn't concern us as this doesn't look like an artillery unit. The second is that it signifies that this was a Married soldier. Thirdly, all mounted units were issued with a white lanyard which held for want of a better phrase, a "Swiss Army Knife" for general use, the upkeep of equipment and removing stones from horses hooves. As for the date, the lanyard was worn on the left shoulder upto around 1920.

Hope this helps.

David

Comment

Hi Sophie

Great grandad was in 56th Field Company Royal Engineers when the photo was taken. Certainly the uniform looks very similar to your g-g grandad. The badge is similar shape but I can't make my mind up myself whether it is R.E or not, could be.

Comment

Hi david

Thanks for you comments; most people are telling me that he looks like a mounted soldier which sounds interesting. Also, how can you tell tht he was married? See....this would have been one of my GGG gandfathers who would have been born around 1869 give or take 5 years...so if he was in WW1 he would have been in his 40's rite?.....i dont know whether he looks around 40 in the picture....thats why at the beginning i assumed he would have been in the Boar War??...

Comment

Hi Sophie,

As I said there are several theories as to why the lanyard was issued that have been lost and corrupted over time, one school of thought was the marriage theory however, the most likely in your case is the standard issue to all mounted troops for carrying a penknife theory.

Your best bet would be to pop a question on one of the military forums, the best one being the Western Front Associations one "The Great War Forum" someone on there is bound to know the right answer. If you put the photo up someone will know the answer to that too I would have thought.

Good Luck

David

Comment

Sophie do you have his name, where he was born etc? Perhaps we can find a medal card for him or service record which might help identify the regiment. The uniform fairly certain is world war one era, not Boer war, so he should at very least have a medal card.

Comment

Hehe well thats why i was trying to find out the regiment....lol.....i was given this photo by my G grandmother...she said it was one of her grandfathers so thats all i know.....lol....the ol gal cud of said which one thou..lol

Comment

Well the more I look at it, I don't think it is Royal Engineers. If you look at the photo of my great grandad and his company the R.E badge has the royal crown just at the top, I don't think it is there on your mans badge. So is there no chance of getting the original and rescanning the badge in better detail? If you were able to you'd probably have no problem identifying it.

Comment

hmm....well ill just have 2 keep looking around and ask my grandmother i spose....its worth a try......thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X