Another question being asked by a novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question being asked by a novice

I will need to get hold of a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate, so I can trace my grandfathers family and have found out that they were married in Dec 1919 Worksop and their names were Thomas Wilson and Lilias Smith. I have found this marriage both ways, therefore I know I have the right couple.

Thing is, when you go in to view the image, I can't find their names either way. I was not expecting to find a copy of the marriage certificate but apart from the quarter, I was wondering how you got the rest of the code to order the certificate?

Can anyone help?

If you are looking on FreeBMD or Ancestry you should be able to find:
    1. names & first names
    2. spouse's surname
    3. year
    4. quarter (Mar/Jun/Sep/Dec)
    5. district
    6. volume (e.g. 2a, 8d...)
    7. entry number

If you are looking on a local RO site, then the ref ill have a different appearance, and they usually use only the year - but won't reject quarter info.

That gives you the info you need to order a certificate for £7.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thomas Wilson Dec 1919 Worksop, volume 7b, page 80, married Smith.

This is all you need to order the certificate. Never pay more than £7 for a certificate and get it from the General Register Office site.

Anne

Comment

Lorraine if you click on the link in my signature below that will take you to the official GRO website where the certificates will only cost you £7 if you have the GRO reference.

Joanie

Comment

I think what you mean is that when you find them on the FreeBMD marriage index on ancestry and click "view image" to see the index page, for some reason it is taking you to the first page of that surname, but because they both have very common surnames, they aren't on that page. You just have to keep clicking "Next" to see the next page, or guess how many pages till you get to the one you want and type it in the "image number". But to save you the bother, Lilias H Smith is on "image number" 69 of the "S" section and Thomas Wilson is on "image number" 89 of the "W" section.
          Must be quite annoying for anyone who is using pay-as-you-go credits on ancestry, but if you are then it's best to search on FreeBMD's own site first because they have lots of free images of the index pages available - if there is one then there will be a little pair of spectacles to click on.
          FreeBMD Home Page
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I only needed to look at one page image, Kite. I put the search in for Thomas Wilson (both names in the boxes on Ancestry) and found him straight away, half way down the right hand column.

Anne

Comment

Oh, that's funny, Anne, because when I searched for him he came up in the list of results, but when I clicked on "view image" it sent me to the page of Ann Wilsons! The same happened with Lilias - I had her name on my list of results but when I clicked on "view image" it showed me a load of Ann Smiths.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite, I wasn't looking in the FreeBMD part of Ancestry, I was using the full 1837 to 1983 listing.
                Looks like another hiccough for the way they do it!!
                Anne

Comment

Just to say I found it. Smith and Wilson are fairly common names, but the clincher is the name Lilias. Turns out I was pressing the wrong area of the list and therefore the info didn't come up.

I was appalled at the price ancestry charge for a certificate (do they print it in gold leaf on hand made paper?) Needless to say, I have ordered a certificate from the GRO.

Comment

Working...
                  X