Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI - Confirming information

Evening all,
    I am sure I am answering my own question, but just want to check...
    I presume that to confirm the information I find on the IGI, I need to visit the respective records office?

Thanks

Hallo Karen

You need to check the IGI entry with the original parish register entry. Parish registers are kept at the relevant records offices, and the LDS family history centres can order film of the originals for a small sum. It might be easier for you to do this if the archive is some way away.

The benefit of looking at the original is that there's often extra information and you can trawl for other events which might not be on the IGI.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You may also be able to purchase microfilm/fiche of the original parish register from the record offices see-
      Bedfordshire
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

igi is also keep in some libareys on fiche
        wye surrey/london/birmingham
        lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
        hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
        ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
        herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
        armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

That's true, tinkerbe, but that's just a copy of the IGI, not of the parish registers which Karen wants to look at to confirm the info taken from the IGI entries.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks guys,
            Looks like I have a project on my hands.
            Gone are the days of me being trusting - i want proof, more than ever before.

Comment

I think that's wise.

I have an 'extracted' record (as opposed to 'submitted') where the surname shows as LANSBURRY instead of SANSBURY. The mistake is understandable, when you see the image of the original... but it's still a mistake.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Thanks Penelope.
                  Really interesting to know.
                  For the line I am researching at the moment, luckily its not too far away, but the rest of my family are from Yorkshire, Suffolk etc etc, (me being in Oxford).

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    I think that's wise.

I have an 'extracted' record (as opposed to 'submitted') where the surname shows as LANSBURRY instead of SANSBURY. The mistake is understandable, when you see the image of the original... but it's still a mistake.

Christine
                    Sorry but that is where you are wrong.

Do not forget the IGI records the information given in a Temple Ordinance, it does not record information given in a parish register.

People cannot seem to understand just what the IGI actually records.
                    Cheers
                    Guy

Comment

That's interesting. I know of a batch which was uploaded to the IGI with incorrect details for the parish and county (it named a parish in Northumberland, I can't remember the name of it now, instead of Yarmouth in Norfolk), which I reported to them when I came across it a few years ago, and they said they wouldn't be deleting the incorrect entries because ordinance work might have been done on them, but they might add the corrected ones. But looking at FamilySearch now, it appears that the incorrect batch has been replaced with the correct one.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kate

I was told (at my LDS centre) a while ago, that they were replacing EXTRACTED records with their own church records (temple sealings, ordnances etc) where those records were duplicated on the IGI. In other words, extracted records were being dumped in favour of temple records.

Guy

I really don't understand what you mean.

I visit my LDS centre on a regular basis and there are often church members occupied in EXTRACTING records from filmed church registers and putting them onto the IGI. These are not Temple records and they are not working from temple records, they are working from Anglican (or whatever) church records.

I have been asked if I would extract some earlier records for a parish I have on permanent loan - - the register has only been partly extracted and put on the IGI, for the reasons Penelope gives, I presume. I am not a member of the LDS church and doubt VERY much if they would want me to work from Temple records instead.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Guy

I really don't understand what you mean.

I visit my LDS centre on a regular basis and there are often church members occupied in EXTRACTING records from filmed church registers and putting them onto the IGI. These are not Temple records and they are not working from temple records, they are working from Anglican (or whatever) church records.

I have been asked if I would extract some earlier records for a parish I have on permanent loan - - the register has only been partly extracted and put on the IGI, for the reasons Penelope gives, I presume. I am not a member of the LDS church and doubt VERY much if they would want me to work from Temple records instead.

OC
                          It is very simple OC the records are extracted (transcribed) from various sources, one being parish registers.
                          Those transcriptions are then subjected to one of three Temple Ordinances (Baptism, Endowment or Sealing). Upon receiving a Temple Ordinance the information is added to the IGI.

If a mistake is made in the transcription ; i.e. John Dow instead of James Dow then it is John Dow who is added to the IGI as it was the information given at the Ordinance. James Dow did not receive the Temple Ordinance.
                          As the IGI indexes the Temple Ordinances it is correct in entering John Dow instead of James Dow and cannot therefore be changed.

If a mistake is made in keying in the Temple Ordinance and John Dow is listed as Jon Dow it can be changed to John Dow as there is an error. But it still could not be changed to James Dow as James Dow did not receive the Ordinance.

When the IGI was produced on microfiche the three columns B, E & F showed the date of the relevant Ordinance, with the digital IGI the three fields are suppressed from general view but are still contained on the database.
                          Cheers
                          Guy

Comment

Guy

Um.....sorry, but isn't that the same thing?!

I sit in the LDS centre, extract (transcribe) records, someone in the LDS temple does something with them and then puts them on the IGI?

It is I who have extracted and transcribed from the ORIGINAL, not temple members, so the information on the IGI, whether it is correct or incorrect, is the information they have keyed onto the site, not the other way around.

OC

Comment

I'm aware that the LDS has an entirely different agenda, but it's still a mistake (at the transcription level) if it doesn't match the source document correctly. If the LDS chooses to regard it as not a mistake, that's not a problem to me.

Christine

PS - I suspect that this may prove to be one of those mis-matched discussions I recall from school, where all the scientists were quite happy with the concept of absolute truth/justice/etc (being accustomed to the use of infinity/absolute-zero, etc), while accepting that it wasn't likely to be achieved in finite time, while all the arts students regarded the same concept as rubbish, and (probably) not worth the discussion.
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-03-09, 19:01.
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Guy

Um.....sorry, but isn't that the same thing?!

I sit in the LDS centre, extract (transcribe) records, someone in the LDS temple does something with them and then puts them on the IGI?
                                Which is what I wrote.
                                Your transcriptions are submitted to one of three Temple Ordinances (Baptism, Sealing or Endowment). It is the information given at the Ordinance that must be indexed on the IGI.

It is I who have extracted and transcribed from the ORIGINAL, not temple members, so the information on the IGI, whether it is correct or incorrect, is the information they have keyed onto the site, not the other way around.

OC
                                Yes the information from the Temple Ordinance not the information on the original record even if that original record is a parish register.

It is the same as evidence given in court. If a witness states they saw a red car parked at the side of the road the court transcript states a red car was parked at the side of the road even if a photo shows that the car was in fact blue. The court transcript records what the witness stated in court not what some other record displays.
                                Cheers
                                Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  I'm aware that the LDS has an entirely different agenda, but it's still a mistake (at the transcription level) if it doesn't match the source document correctly. If the LDS chooses to regard it as not a mistake, that's not a problem to me.

Christine
                                  It is not a choice of regarding it as a mistake or not.
                                  The IGI indexes the Temple Ordinances.
                                  If you choose to use the IGI for a purpose it was not designed to be used for you cannot complain if it does not record what you wish it to record.
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Working...
                                    X