Praxey Giles/Fisher from Mark, Somerset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praxey Giles/Fisher from Mark, Somerset

According to the Somerset parish registers which are helpfully on line! Praxey Giles was baptised at Mark, Somerset in 1775. Her name is spelt differently in different places.... Praxcis, Praxcise. I had never heard of this name before! Anyway - her parents were Alexander (spelt also and endearingly as Alicksander) and Hannah.

Praxey married Samuel Fisher in 1794 in Mark.

They had 2 daughters called Betsey (one died) and another called Hannah - all baptised at Mark.

Then in 1807 Samuel Fisher had a nasty accident - he and his horse were drowned in a ditch on the return from Kingsway. He was a higler - which I think means he was a travelling salesman - or an ag lab that went from place to place for work.

I would like to find out whatever happened to Praxey - whether she remarried or when she died.

Hannah Fisher was at Huntspill - that is not written up so comprehensively on line.

So - please would you let me know whether you have access to any parish records near Mark - or indeed anywhere!!! so that I can find dear Praxey... you would not think it would be so difficult. At the moment I am beginning to think that Samuel was a naughty boy and I should be looking under the florboards somewhere.

Cheers

Looking at the IGI there seem to be a few females called Praxall or Praxel, though I'd never heard of it.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I would guess that at 32, Praxey would be most likely to remarry. If she died after 1837 she would be in the civil registration death indexes, but the age at death isn't in the indexes till 1866 by which time she would probably have died.

So you need to look for 2nd marriage I guess.

Comment

This is probably not the right Hannah but

Hannah Fisher Birth: About 1811 Mark, Somerset
        Spouse: John Hill Binning
        Marriage: 12 FEB 1840 Mark, Somerset
        Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church.

Comment

Just gone through females living in Mark in 1841 census

HO107; Piece 932; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Mark; County: Somerset; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 37; Page: 7; Line: 23;

Spraxy Walter aged 60. Image looks like Spraxy, she is with William Walter aged 50, ag lab.

On the next page are 25-yr old James Fisher and immediately beneath him John Binning 20 ag lab and 30 year old Hannah with a baby Betsy aged 1.

Not conclusive but suggestive.
          Last edited by Little Nell; 04-03-09, 21:22.

Comment

William Walter death registered Axbridge 1843 Jul-Aug-Sep vol 10 p213 but can't be him as he is still around 1851, see next post.
            Last edited by Little Nell; 04-03-09, 21:30.

Comment

HO107; Piece: 1936; Folio: 184; Page: 19

1851 census.

Transcribed as Sprasey but image looks like Spraxey to me. Still with William and living in household immediately below John Binning, Hannah, Betsy and 2 more daughters.

Comment

Death: Spracksby Walters 1860 Jan-Feb-Mar Axbridge Volume:5c Page:45[2_]

I've looked at the image of the handwritten index page and I think the page number is 482.
                Last edited by Little Nell; 04-03-09, 21:34.

Comment

This gives marriages in Mark up to 1837 but I can't find Spraxy's!

Does give John Binning as witness though on a few marriages.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Hannah Fisher Birth: About 1811 Mark, Somerset
                    Spouse: John Hill Binning
                    Marriage: 12 FEB 1840 Mark, Somerset
                    Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church.
                    Little Nell - thank you for all the work you have done on this!

On the Mark parish records there is a Hannah bapt in 1807 to Samuel and Praxey Fisher - on the day that her father Samuel was buried 14.01.1807. Odd or what?

Then I found a hannah Fisher in Huntspill buried on 10 March 1832 aged 25 years - so that would fit with the age - if of course the Hannah bapt in 1807 was baptised close to her birth date.

Lots of Fishers here who repeat first names! Anyway this is a possibility - thans

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Just gone through females living in Mark in 1841 census

HO107; Piece 932; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Mark; County: Somerset; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 37; Page: 7; Line: 23;

Spraxy Walter aged 60. Image looks like Spraxy, she is with William Walter aged 50, ag lab.

On the next page are 25-yr old James Fisher and immediately beneath him John Binning 20 ag lab and 30 year old Hannah with a baby Betsy aged 1.

Not conclusive but suggestive.
                      Hmm interesting....the names Hannah and Betsey are interesting together given that Betsey was the name of Hannah Fisher's sisters who died.

Comment

It looks like this must be Praxey!

Thank you so much.

Comment

It's not certain, but I think its highly likely. You are welcome, glad to have been of help.

Comment

Hannah Binning

Hi Little Nell,

Hopefully attached is a pic of a gravestone in Mark Churchyard - it ties in with the 1851 census which shows John and Hannah living in Mark with Betsy 10, Jane 9, and Emma 3. Emma married Jesse Cox in 1873.

ccw
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X