Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuanian Family causing trouble!

Hello friends!

Well, I have Lithuanian ancestors in my tree who are proving to be extremely elusive!

My GtGrandmother was the daughter of Henry Waisnis and his father was John with variant spellings of the surname including Wiseness and Vaisnys.

According to the wedding cert of Henry and my GtGrandmother Mary nee Whitty, Henry's father was a farmer. They married in 1871 in Liverpool and the address given for Henry is a lodging address. Henry was a seaman and must have came home for the wedding as he doesn't appear on the census returns for 1871 (taken 2 April) which is before their wedding in September. On the return for 1881, Mary is recorded as married and lliving with her parents and her two children. By the time of the 1891 census, Mary is living with her children and is recorded as Wid.

Soooo, where can I go from here? I have absolutely no details as to whether Henry's father is living in the UK and farming over here or if he is still in Lithuania. All of the information I have of this elusive Lithuanian family are detailed above. If anyone could give me any further pointers I would be most grateful.

Looking forward to hearing from somebody soon!

Regards and best wishes to all with your research.

Lyn x

Do you know roughly when Henry came to England? You might find some information here:

Welcome to the Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society

If Henry's father was over here you should be able to find him on censuses and death indexes.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Don't want to upset anyone, but could it be that he escaped from persecution in Lithuania. I ask that because my husband's family are Jewish and we are trying to find out basic information like were they even born in the UK and further back, when they came to England. Another branch of the family came across from Russia as clowns in a circus and stayed!!

Comment

this looks like a good site.

Lithuania Genealogy Links - Lithuania geneology

this one too:Lithuanianancestry - Family history and relative research in Lithuania

cyndi's list is good for research.

Cyndi's List - The Baltic States ~ Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania

Comment

Working...
        X