Marriage cert query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage cert query

There seems to be an extra signature on this marriage cert. Can anyone tell me what the name is and why it would be there. Many thanks

Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

I would say they are all witnesses. I have had several marriages with more than two witnesses.

Comment

Does it say 'John Hamblin .........(something I can't read) Deputy Registrar'?

Bee.
      Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
      COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Deputy registrar.

Is he there because it's a Wesleyan marriage? Someone will know.
        Heather

Comment

Looks like 'John Hamilton (maybe Hamblin) Leyland, Deputy Registrar'.
          Tracy

Comment

I wonder why they needed a registrar and a minister?
            Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

If the minister wasn't authorised to register the marriage then the registrar would have to be present. Only C of E ministers have the automatic right to do the registering - it is extremely common for other denominations to require the presence of the registrar.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                If the minister wasn't authorised to register the marriage then the registrar would have to be present. Only C of E ministers have the automatic right to do the registering - it is extremely common for other denominations to require the presence of the registrar.
                Ah, that explains it. It was a Wesleyan chapel.

Thanks
                Jules

Comment

Working...
                X