Old photo's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old photo's question

I have a pile of old photo's that I collected from my father at the weekend - of course we WILL be going through them in the coming days.

My question is what do I use to write on the back of the photo's ? Is there a special pen to use ?

Obviously biro is probably not the best thing to use.

I would be interested in what you all use ?

There is no way this little lot are going into an album, so I cannot write anything underneath a 'fixed' photo.

I will be scanning them - so I can write something then.

On the back of the pics - I intend to write the date that the 'dating and comments were added' along with who is on the pics and the 'est' date if we cannot work it out. i.e. March 2009 - Fred Bloggs est 1950

stick a written lable on the back then it wont go through.wish i had some to go through,enjoy.brenda xxx

Comment

If they're important photos you might want to store them in photo envelopes (you could write/stick labels on the envelopes)

Can't see anywhere sensible to get them online ... but they look like this

Lumiere Photo: Clear Photo & Negative Storage Envelopes
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

This is an important question! I have asked before (not on here) and never got a satisfactory answer!

*Biro is definately out - the blobs can come off onto the next photo in the pile
        *Sticky labels may react with the photo or stick to the next one or come off in time.
        *Hard pencil is likely to leave 'press marks' onto the front of the photo
        *Soft pencil doesn't mark the back of some types of photo paper at all!
        *Felt tip type pens take days to dry properly and therefore risk marking the front of the next photo like biro.
        *Putting them in an album/wallet with a separate label seems good BUT the two can become separated.

:(:(
        What's the answer please somebody?
        Anne

Comment

Anne
          I keep all my old photos individually in photo envelopes and they are stored in cardboard boxes away from light.
          See previous post
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I use "acid and lignin free" poly bags (sold to store greetings cards, try ebay) and seal them adding a label on the back. This means they are protected from peoples finger marks as well as giving a good place to put the label.

At the same time I scan them at high resolution and add keywords and titles to the .jpg files so I have digital versions of all my old photos.
            Jane
            Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
            "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

If you want to know what not to do then I have the answer!!

I have about 3,000 Victorian -1920s "family" photos (ie belonged to the family, not necessarily of the family!). About half have the name of the person on the back either written by me in biro or by someone else from the past either in biro or real ink! A lot have crossings out and alterations where other people have written mis-information or unhelpful comments such as "my grandmother" or "Fred's uncle" - mostly in biro or proper ink.

The photos are divided up into rough familiy groups such as "Clark pre 1890" or "Smith after WW1". Each group (I think there's probably about 20 groups including "completely unknown" and "worth investigating") are in plastic carrier bags . The whole lot are then in a large metal trunk (that's probably the only bit that is OK) which is in our spare room. Usually one or two of the carriers have escaped the trunk and disgorged their contents over the floor when I have rushed upstairs to get a photo to scan and then not remembered to put it away.

I should make the effort to do something about this sacrilege, but I just don't know where to begin...........

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                This is an important question! I have asked before (not on here) and never got a satisfactory answer!

*Biro is definately out - the blobs can come off onto the next photo in the pile
                *Sticky labels may react with the photo or stick to the next one or come off in time.
                *Hard pencil is likely to leave 'press marks' onto the front of the photo
                *Soft pencil doesn't mark the back of some types of photo paper at all!
                *Felt tip type pens take days to dry properly and therefore risk marking the front of the next photo like biro.
                *Putting them in an album/wallet with a separate label seems good BUT the two can become separated.

:(:(
                What's the answer please somebody?
                Anne

Thanks for the options Anne. I think as my photo's are from the 1950's onwards..........I'll probably go for the 'sticky label' on the back option. Writing the words before sticking them.

It's probably the 'best' process for myself, on how I want to keep the information together.

Comment

I keep mine in polypockets with a separate sheet of paper with all the details on it, kept in the same pocket, and filed with my paper documents.

Most of them have managed to survive 100 years without any care so they are probably good for another 100 by which time any descendants will either have got new inventions to store and preserve them or will have thrown them away.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X