What's it worth now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth now?

Did I mishear, or did Kevin Whateley on last night’s WDYTYA say he used a facility at the National Archive to work out how much a sum of money many years ago was worth now? Is this facility available on line? I’ve tried searching TNA’s website and keep getting pages on tax and such like when all I need is a simple calculator. Any ideas?

...Dugless

It is there, I searched currency converter and it came up. Also there is a site called what's it worth, or something like that, which gives you a wider set of values for comparison:D
    Clare

Comment

Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound

Comment

I think this is the site you want:

Take a break | Currency converter

Joanie

Comment

Oh, goodness, I didn't realise how much my 2xgreat grandmother was worth! (At least I found someone in the family with some money)
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            That's the one I usually use.....very useful I find it.
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Once again, many thanks to you all for your prompt and helpful answers. Now can you tell me where my ancestors buried all that money...?
              ,,,Dugless

Comment

A word of caution, such conversion sites are only of any use for very small timescales.

Using them for periods of 100 years or more is totally pointless as the results are wildly inaccurate.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                  A word of caution, such conversion sites are only of any use for very small timescales.

Using them for periods of 100 years or more is totally pointless as the results are wildly inaccurate.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Yes, I was really surprised they didn't say that on WDYTYA? when they used such a site to convert a large sum.

It would be better if they gave an indication of what income people might expect at different dates depending on their occupation.

Comment

Since none of us actually believes that the change in the Retail Price Index for the past year was actually accurate, any indexing over several years, or even hundreds of them, is bound to be suspect. It's a guide, and a rough one, no more. As for indexing based on average earnings, this, I have found, is available on Measuring Worth - Home. Either way, don't forget the pinch of salt!
                    ...Dugless

Comment

Working...
                    X