Missing Family in 1841 Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Family in 1841 Help Please

Could somebody help or give suggestions please. I cant seem to find an ancestor in the 1841 census.

Simon Ellis was born 1824 in Osgodby Lincs (may be Ingoldsby) he was a Farm Labourer on all the census after 1851 and on marriage and birth certificates.
    He married 15th May 1849 in Lincolnshire fathers name was given as John Ellis fathers Occupation was Labourer.
    I can't seem to get any further than this and would appreciate any help.

thanks

Not sure if it helps - and you probably know it already - but there's an Ann Ellis (60) of Independent means in Osgodby in 1841? Also a William and Mary Ellis (Ag lab), both 35; and their children, Margaret (9), Mary (5), William (4) and Thomas (2).

I've had the odd farm labourer go missing on a census and they usually turn up maybe as far as 20 miles away, labouring on a farm out of their usual district as they were re-hired every year and maybe sometimes, couldn't get back on with a farmer 'back home' had to go further afield for work? This even happened to married men with children sometimes who may have to leave their families back home - but a young single labourer is, of course, more mobile.

Where did he marry? That might be a clue as to where he was 8 years earlier (maybe not, too!) If it's a different village, you can sometimes find someone by systematically 'walking through' the census, page by page. I have found a few strays with family too, maybe several villages away, on census night. So if you know his siblings/uncles and aunts' names, they might be worth a look-up.

Comment

I have no idea about any siblings or anything above Simon. He Married at the Parish Church Lavington,Lincolnshire. In 1851 he was married and living in Osgodby, Lincs with his wife Ann (nee Taylor) and their one year old son John. Also a visitor Mary Ann Exton aged 20. I have no idea who she is. His wife was also born in Ingoldsby Lincs.

Comment

If you're hoping to find him with his family in 1841 to see who his parents and brothers and sisters were, he may well have left home by then. But if you can find his baptism in the parish register for Osgodby then it will give you his mother's name as well as his father's and also you will be able to look for siblings' baptisms.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X