Help to find Mariah please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find Mariah please

I found my GGGrandafather in 1911 living with a woman he was claiming to be his wife.

Mariah Siddall born c1853, Mirfield Yorkshire. Listed as being married for 26 years (not to James though!!) no children noted for either, though James has at least 2 that I know of.

In 1901, James is in Wakefield prison and Mariah is transcribed as 'Marie Bridle' c1855, Mirfield, living in Heckmondwike, listed as wife but only occupant.

In 1891, James is living in a Lodging House in Huddersfield. I hadn't previously noticed, but Mariah is also there. Transcribed as Maria Siddel c1855, Mirfield, listed as Servant.

In 1881, James married my GGGrandmother. No idea where or who Mariah is.

Can anyone help me trace her please? I've been looking all afternoon and my eyes are going boggy lol
    Tracy

what is your GGGrandfathers surname?

Comment

I'm assuming it's the James Siddel (transcribed Sivil) from the 1891 census living with Maria.

If so, I believe this is James in 1881 as you probably already have.

Class: RG11; Piece: 4553; Folio: 105; Page: 24; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342097.

I cant find Maria I'm affraid and also none of the freebmd marriages for Sidalls marrying Maria's seem right either.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

do james and maria have kids? if so, you could get the birth for the youngest child.

Comment

Thanks for looking That is the right James in 1881. He married my GGGrandmother in October.

Guy, I don't think James and Mariah were married, at least not to each other. James was still married to my GGGrandmother in 1911.

Kyle, there are no children listed in 1911 so I don't think they had any together.
          Tracy

Comment

thats a pity. im sure the answer will unravel. usually does.

Comment

There are a few possible Marias on the 1881 born Mirfield about the right time, but I can't see how we could figure out which is the right one other than by a process of elimination (i.e. follow them all forward and see which one we can't find!)
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite. I tried that yesterday but got a bit confused when I looked back at 1861 and 1871 and found different names on all the censuses lol

There are 3 names in 1871 and 1881 - 2 of which match the other - one got married between them.
                There are 4 names in 1891. I've matched 2 to the other censuses - one was the married one and another married between.

1871 - all born Mirfield
                Maria Clutterbuck c1854 -possible marriage in 1875 but names don't match 1881
                Maria L Shaw c1851 - married George Fossey in 1885
                Maria Staphton (Stapleton) c1854 - married Alfred Sykes in 1874

1881 - all born Mirfield
                Marie Bewer c1851
                Maria L Shaw - as above
                Maria Sykes - as above - married to Alfred

1891 - all born Mirfield
                Maria Kenyon c1851
                Maria Siddel c1855 - 'my' Maria
                Maria Sykes - as above
                Maria L Fossey - as above - married to George
                Tracy

Comment

so james' surname is siddall and 'maria' is also assuming the name of siddall from at least 1891. When did your GGGrandmother die or did they divorce?

Comment

Yes Tessie.
                    She died in 1919 I think, in Blackpool. I don't think they divorced as I can't find anything to match their names.

I think James died in 1914.
                    Tracy

Comment

so where is your GGGrandmother on the 91,01 and 11 census'?

Comment

In 1891, she is with another man. In 1901 and 1911, she is alone with her children. She lived in Liversedge.
                        Tracy

Comment

Working...
                        X