Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh rellies

Hi
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I am looking for the birth and parentage of my GGF Richard Thomas Davies who (i was told by a now deceased Gt Aunt) was born in 1888 in Merthyr Tydfil Wales, and as you will probably know there were about 4000 others registered with that name in a 2 yr period.:(
    I do have his marriage cert wich tells me he was 21 in 1910 (so this would make his birth 1889) and i have all the details of his wife and children.
    I have tried a few birth certs but they have all been wrong.
    On his marriage cert it says he is a miner and his father Thomas Davies is also a miner.
    I have no idea if he had any siblings and the witnesses at his wedding were his father in law and sister in law so no help there.

Can anyone give me any idea where to look next please

Thanks
    Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

The age on the marriage cert could be out. It would depend on whether or not he'd had his birthday when he married.

I suppose you'd need to find him on 1911 census with his wife and see what his age and birthplace are there, and then try to match him with those details and father called Thomas on earlier censuses.

I sympathise. Husband's father was Welsh and they have half the surnames of his English lot.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I sympathise too, my Davis alternates with Davies and then marry a Davies for good measure!! his only saving grace is having perkins as a middle name which makes him easier to keep tabs on!!;)
      Clare

Comment

Not that difficult. Only one possible in 1891

RG12; Piece: 4437; Folio 61; Page 12

Father Thomas Davies, coal miner, mother Margaret (another popular name in Wales)
        Richard Thomas Davies 2 b Merthyr.
        Family are Welsh speakers.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 02-03-09, 19:19.

Comment

RG13; Piece: 5025; Folio: 96; Page: 26
          Richard is with his parents, aged 11 and no details of his occupation are given.
          It might be helpful that he has a sister Jemima, as that's a less usual name.

Comment

Freebmd search for Richard Davies birth 1888-1890 registered in Merthyr Tydfil finds not 4,000 choices, but only 8 Richard Davies registered at that time and place. One of them has Llewelyn as a middle name and this is the only Thomas. It looks spot on the money to me.

Jun 1889 Merthyr Tydfil 11a p.564 Richard Thomas Davies

Comment

Thank you so much
              I have been looking for him for about 6 months and i never saw that one.
              Will send for the cert straight away.

Thanks again

Marie
              My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
              Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

Working...
              X