A bit confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit confused.

I have found my 2xGt/Grandmother in the 1841 census but can't find her in the 1851, I can find a family that almost fits but the wifes name is Caroline not Esther.
    Details are
    1841........William Village 30 Head Pewterer ?
    Esther " 25 Wife
    Esther " 4 Daug
    Mary " 1 Daug
    Living at Great Bow Street Birmingham

1851........William Village 43 Head Pewterer ?
    Caroline 38 Wife
    Esther 13 Daug
    Caroline 6 Daug
    Hannah 4 Daug
    William 3 Son
    Thomas 5mths
    Living Court 3 Bow Street Birmingham

Have also found Esther and family in the 61,71 and 81 census but think William died before 1861.
    In 1861 Esther still lived in Bow Street and the some of the childrens names were the same.
    Would be grateful for any thoughts on this.
    Georgy:smilee:

The most likely possibilities are 1) that the wife was christened Caroline Esther or Esther Caroline, and 2) that Esther died, and William remarried to Caroline, between 1841 and 1851.

Comment

Esther died around 1887 I believe (not confirmed yet) as you say she could have had Caroline as her 1st/2nd name, haven't found a Caroline/William in the other census so I think they may be the same family.

Comment

IGI shows a marriage of a William to Esther RICHARDS in Birmingham in 1836.

Maybe the birth certificate of one of the younger children in 1851 census will confirm mother's maiden name.
        Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 02-03-09, 20:50.

Comment

I've got instances of families being exactly the same except for a name change. One lady became Sarah in one census but is Susan in all the others and her birthdetails are the same. I think it may just be an error.

I also have cases where a wife has two first names and alternates them at whim.-
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1861 census has the following

RG9; Piece: 2135; Folio: 118; Page: 25; GSU roll: 542923.

Esther Village 45 She is listed as a widow
            Esther Village 23
            Catherine Village 19
            Hannah Village 17
            Sarah Village 15
            William Village 11
            Thomas Village 9
            James Village 6
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Yes perhaps if I order the cert for William as he is my Gt/Grandad (I hope )it will get me the maiden name at least ,do i need ref no to order a cert from 1851 or would I be able to order without one?
              Thanks for the help

Comment

You will need a ref doesn't appear to be on Freebmd so perhaps someone will look on ancestry for you

Comment

Thank you all for your help, I think I have found the ref I need .

Comment

Working...
                  X