Help With John Milne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With John Milne

I have the dates of John Milnes birth, wedding and death but cannot find records of them on Scottish People. Can anyone suggest somewhere else that is good and might have records?
    The information that I have is this: -
    Born: 2 January 1794 Ardoyne
    Married Helen Benzie: 2 February 1828 Ardoyne, Oyne
    Died: 17 March 1878 Chapel of Garioch, Inverurie

Hi there and welcome.

The IGI at FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records has large numbers of Scottish records transcribed. The baptism and marriage could be missing from ScotlandsPeople if they took place in a church which was not Church of Scotland (the established church in Scotland). The death ought to appear on ScotlandsPeople since it is after the start of civil registration in 1855.

They could of course be mistranscribed, and ScotlandsPeople doesn't let you search without a surname.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

IGI confirms your 1828 marriage date and names at Oyne, Aberdeenshire

It also gives 7 children for them
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 02-03-09, 17:50. Reason: add

Comment

Hi,
        There is a John Milne b 21 Dec 1794, Oyne - 230/0010 0028.
        I know the date is not the same but close.
        Can I ask where you got the birth date from and is it definite?
        Best wishes.
        herky
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

bmwgem,

Were you searching for John Milnes and not Milne as I got a single hit on Scotland's People for an 1878 death of John Milne in Chapel of Garioch.

I put in Milne (no soundex), John, a year range of 1878 - 1878, a birth year of 1794 +/-5 and county of Aberdeen and district of Chapel of Garioch.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 02-03-09, 18:31. Reason: add

Comment

Marriage - Helen Benzie and John Milne - Oyne, 1828 230/002 0139
            Info from Scotlands People website

herky
            Last edited by herky; 02-03-09, 18:28. Reason: adding source
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Is the info from Graeme Lornie's site?

F68

Might be worth contacting him for his source info?

Comment

Hi everyone, i'll try and answer all questions in one reply

Yes Richard I did get my info from Graeme Lornie and I contacted him the other week but have not had a reply yet.
                GallowayLass yes I did search for Milne and not Milnes as I know there are both surnames about.
                Herky see above answer to Richard.
                To everyone else who found information I didn't I apologise - i don't know what the hell I've been doing! I think I need a break for a while!!
                Thanks you to everyone who has replied I have found this site to be the most helpful one I've visited in terms of people so thank you

Comment

Just had a quick check and GallowayLass how did you find the 7 children on the IGI? I just put the wedding date in and found the details (which I've actually seen before but forgotten about this site) but it says no children?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwgem View Post
                    Just had a quick check and GallowayLass how did you find the 7 children on the IGI? I just put the wedding date in and found the details (which I've actually seen before but forgotten about this site) but it says no children?
                    Navigate to the IGI search page.
                    You put father's name in top right box and mother's name underneath that.
                    In Event choose Birth/Christening.
                    In Region choose British Isles.
                    Leave everything else blank and click SEARCH

Comment

Just in case you don't have it from Scotland's People, your Helen Milne nee Benzie dies 1861 registered at Oyne, Aberdeenshire

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass I already had Helen's date of death. I had a look at the children, thanks for telling me how to do it. I came up with 2 Williams both born 1835 but one 10th Jan and one 16th Jan, any clues?

Comment

It is the IGI after all LOL

I would think it's most likely that he was born on the first date and christened on the second one.

Glad to be of help.

Comment

John Milne 1794

I am having trouble locating the exact birth details of John Milne. He was born sometime in 1794 and married Helen Benzie in 1828 and died aged 85 on 17 March 1878. His father's name was William Milne.

Comment

Does anybody know how to download things off the IGI? I've found an extract from a film for a birth which is possibly someone I'm looking for.

Comment

It would help if you would give us some idea of geographical area otherwise it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Have you checked the IGI?
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Is this the John Milne you were asking about in your other thread? I don't want to duplicate what has already been said.
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:
                                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've merged the two John Milne threads together to avoid confusion.
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry he was born Oyne, Aberdeen but I have sence found him now, thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwgem View Post
                                        Does anybody know how to download things off the IGI? I've found an extract from a film for a birth which is possibly someone I'm looking for.
                                        You can't download them but you can order the film to view at a LDS family history centre (usually an annex to a LDS church). You can find a list of locations on the LDS website.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X