Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father or grandfather the census can't make up its mind

Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some help here with one of my ancestors.

Her name is Ellen Vardy (she has to be very much dead by now, as she was born in 1861).

According to the 1871 census she is listed as a daughter, born in Wilne in Derbyshire. Ten years later, she is listed as a granddaughter. There are no other Vardy's listed in the household and I haven't been able to find a Mr Vardy as a father and the mother does not match any of the women listed as children in the earlier census' (unless I have missed it).

Ellen Vardy is not that common a name, unless of course, the transcription is wrong somewhere along the line. Where would you suggest I go and look next?

An Ellen Vardy wsa born in the Shardlow Registration District (which includes Wilne) in 1860:

Births Dec 1860
    VARDY Ellen Shardlow 7b 345

FreeBMD - Search

Shardlow Registration District

If you get the cert, it'll tell you the names of her parents and her mother's maiden name.

Comment

By the way, if you find that you have any Parkinsons from the Wilne area in your tree let me know, because I seem to be related to all of them

Comment

Hi Lorraine

She is down as granddaughter on both the 1871 and 1881 census!

Comment

If you look at the 1881 census image, you'll see that Joseph and Ellen Brown and granddaughter Ellen Vardy are living next door to a Samuel Vardy and his wife Harriett and son. I thought she might be the daughter of Joseph and Ellen and mother of Ellen Vardy, but this seems to be the marriage:

Marriages Jun 1874
          ENGLAND Harriet Chesterfield 7b 1053
          Hall Joseph Chesterfield 7b 1053
          Stafford Jane Chesterfield 7b 1053
          Vardy Samuel Chesterfield 7b 1053

Samuel may well have been married before, but I can't see a marriage to a Brown.

Comment

There is a marriage for an Edmund Vardy to a Harriett Brown in 1858, In 1861 Edmund is with his parents Samuel and Ellen, Edmund is married but no wife with him.

RG9; Piece: 2531; Folio: 50; Page: 10

Having trouble finding Joseph and ellen Brown in 1861 to see if daughter Harriet and grandaughter Ellen Vardy are with them but they do have a daughter Harriet in 1851.

HO107; Piece: 2141; Folio: 314; Page: 1
            Fiona. xx

Comment

In 1871 Edmund and Harriet are in Nottinghamshire with children Samuel 12 and Arthur 2.

RG10; Piece: 3512; Folio: 81; Page: 22
              Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                An Ellen Vardy wsa born in the Shardlow Registration District (which includes Wilne) in 1860:

Births Dec 1860
                VARDY Ellen Shardlow 7b 345

FreeBMD - Search

Shardlow Registration District

If you get the cert, it'll tell you the names of her parents and her mother's maiden name.
                Thanks for that. I don't know the area at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                  In 1871 Edmund and Harriet are in Nottinghamshire with children Samuel 12 and Arthur 2.

RG10; Piece: 3512; Folio: 81; Page: 22
                  Thank you Fiona, your posts make perfect sense combined with the other information I have found out.

Comment

Working...
                  X