Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think this is possible ?

My Grandfather was married twice....

My Grandmother was his housekeeper...and later married him...however...
    On the 1911 census he was listed as married but no wife was there,also my grandmother was on there as his housekeeper but with 4 children with both their surnames...They eventually married in 1917 and went on to have many more children..

On his marriage certificate he says he is a widower....so i am wondering if theres anyway his first wife would be traceable...a shot in the dark i know....

Where were they all in 1901?

OC

Comment

who is he with in 1901?
      Jess

Comment

Have you searched for a marriage for him to hi first wife?
        Lynn

Comment

It might be tricky as his name was Walter Smith!!

Comment

*goes out*

Comment

Chich, did he have any children by his first wife? If so, then you should be able to get a birth certificate for one of them to get the mother's name. I hope they had middle names!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Merry whatever do you mean !!! lol

He was "with" none it seems in 1911...although it states on the census hes married !

The address was st anns lane castle donnington derby...which confused me as i thought castle donnington was leics !

There are four childten on there with both their surnames however the first child i was not aware of so am wondering if she was by his first wife....

Comment

sorry that should read he was with no one....

Comment

Well i have gone all through Ancestry but cant find a thing...is there a better site for looking at weddings....

Comment

Chich

Provided the people are dead, could you give us some names and dates (particularly the children). The birth index gives mother's maiden name. It's quite possible that Ancestry has mangled the name, and even the General Register Office (GRO) has been known to make errors in the index.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well i think i may have something.....

I have found a walter smith born 1877 same birthplace as my grandfather..

Now on the 1901 census he was married but not living with his wife he was living with his aunt...

on the 1911 census he had been married for 14 years so that means he must have married in 1897 when he was 20...he married MY gran in 1917...so somewhere between 1911 and 1917 his first wife died...

Phew this is hard work !

Comment

sorry thats not clear...i do have the details of my grandfather birth...i was just putting his birth date etc on to show how i think i ahae the right dates...sorry its getting late !

Comment

getting the children's birth certs should help tremendously.

Comment

The children were not from his first wife... but his 2nd wife,and i have been told the first child was my grandmothers and not as i first thought my grandfathers first wife..

Comment

"House keeper"

Two thoughts - first the trouble with censuses is that they're almost too accurate ! His wife wouldn't have been down as a resident if she'd been visiting Aunty maud that day ! tricky if she was with a relative nigh on impossible if she's visiting friends. My St. Michaels mount lot seem never to have been in their own beds on census day !!
                                Secound is Housekeeper can be (was in very recent times with one of mine) a face saving description of common law wife or even bigamous wife - if the children share the House keepers surname I think you can assume she wasn't just hired help !!

Roger

Comment

I keep looking at this marriage:

Marriages Mar 1896
                                  Baxter Joseph Nottingham 7b 383
                                  Broughton Elizabeth Nottingham 7b 383
                                  KENNEDY Ann Gilbert Nottingham 7b 383
                                  Smith Walter Nottingham 7b 383

I think Joseph Baxter married Ann Gilbert Kennedy as there's a couple that fit in Notts in 1901. I've looked around for a Walter and Elizabeth Smith together in 1901 and can't see a couple who look obvious for this marriage (but that doesn't mean there isn't a couple, of course!)

Anyway, I then had a look for Elizabeth Smiths who were married but not with their OH. I found this one:

RG13; Piece: 3177; Folio: 138; Page: 13

Now, her place of birth says Turnton Norfolk, but I don't think there is such a place and I don't know Norfolk at all so can't take a guess at what it was trying to say! I wish I could show you an Elizabeth Broughton from Norfolk on an earlier census, but I can't so maybe this is a complete red herring. Just thought I'd post it up anyway..........

Comment

so somewhere between 1911 and 1917 his first wife died...
                                    She might have done, or maybe they were divorced, or maybe he decided to re-marry anyway.........

Comment

Think i see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel....

Ok i may be sooo wrong but its worth a shot...

My Grandfather got married i am sure in Dec 1897..in Basford Nottingham...his first marriage.

On the same page 7B 276 there a Hilda Elizabeth Taylor.....
                                      So i did a search on here and found Yes she did get married same time etc but she married a SMITH !!!!

Then if you remember(are you still with me or zzzzzz lol ) on the 1901 census my Grandfather was down as married but living with his aunt and no wife to be seen...on the 1901 census She is married but living with her parents ! and has a 2 year old daughter...no husband around...

Do you think i am on the right track ??or is it just wishful thinking...

Comment

RNM ...No !! o m g ...the shame of it...goodness me i am speechless..(( and thats a first)) !

Comment

Working...
                                        X