London Burial Index, British Origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Burial Index, British Origins

I saw this mentioned in YFT magazine in an article about finding your London ancesters. Is this new & is it any good? I am still trying to find burials etc for my Stowell family from Westminster & am always keen to find new places to look.
    Lynn

It's been on there for quite some time, Lynn. I would try the one on Findmypast first if I were you, because you can buy credits on there. But if you draw a blank there, and you want to try British Origins, you can take out a short membership, I think it's 72 hours, for a few pounds and it won't be automatically renewed. They have various other London databases, marriage licences etc., so make sure you have enough time to spare over the 72 hours to fit everything in.

But I must admit that in the past I have taken out one of those memberships and then not found much to show for it!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I occasionally have 72 hours access which is quite reasonable at 7.50 but usually end up feeling disappointed, probably because of my expectations. I was really chuffed with some of the C18th Apprenticeship records but had very limited success with finding ancestors in the London Burial Index. I had more luck with the non parochial BMD site but mine are mostly City, North and East. Last time I had a look, I remember feeling disgruntled that I only got name, year and churchyard when I did find a possible.
      Asa

Comment

I've found a few useful entries which have enabled me to get further information from the relevant registers at the London Metropolitan Archives. But it doesn't cover all London parishes and it doesn't cover all dates, so like a lot of things its a bit hit and miss.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ah, then it is probably one I have searched before with no joy, when they were having one of their "free" days. :( That is a real shame
          Lynn

Comment

Working...
          X