FTM Internet Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM Internet Backup

Ooh, my FTM has just told me that my internet backup is due to expire in 20 days. I didn't even know I had this! I can see what I have to click on to backup to the internet (File - Backup - Internet Storage) but if I decide to go ahead with it, what exactly will happen? Where will it be stored and can other people see it there?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

No one can see it that I know of its spored offline until you need it and then you can always resue your tree from it if the worse happens but it doesnt store photos just a Gedcom file ;;;I was glad of it whe I had computer crash few years ago lost bit of data that I hadnt backed up so now try to remember to do it at least once week ;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

did you not take out a subscription to it Kite?? it was something like £6 a year think its gone up a bit this year, invaluable as Babs said.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-03-09, 18:17.

Comment

Ooh, it stores a GEDCOM file, does it? Right, I'll give it a try, thanks.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry disagree!

I presume Kate that you are using a relatively new FTM. You normally get a 90 day free trial of the internet backup- after that you need to pay for it. It used to be about 12US$ per year.

It saves a fully working copy of your FTW file which would include photos, books etc. - not just a GEDCOM.
          My file size is 13.177KB and it normally takes about 3 or 4 minutes to backup to the internet.

I regularly back up to the internet - in fact if I have been working on my tree then I will back it up before closing down. I also find it useful if I am working between the two laptops. I can work on one laptop - amend my tree - back up to internet - close down. If the next time I am using other laptop then I can download the latest version from the internet and work on that - and then backup again before closing down.

I should point out that if you want do this,that is working between two computers, you must be very very careful that you know which version of your tree is the latest version - if you are not organised it is very easy to get muddled.

One of the main reasons that I have not converted to FTM 2009 - internet backup is not available after the 2006 version.
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 02-03-09, 09:54.
          Elaine

Comment

Oh cheers for that Elaine wasnt sure about photos so thought best to say no , couldnt remember what was missing from mine but must have been just the latest stuff added on which I didnt back up , so proves best to go by your method of everytime you have been working on tree;;beware if not
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks for that, Elaine. It's FTM2006. It's a free copy from a magazine but I only installed it on this computer fairly recently because it's a new computer, so the internet backup must have been free for 90 days, like you say.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Elaine is there a way of making sure I dont make a mistake and import the wrong file when using another Laptop or PC

Comment

When you restore from Internet back up you will see the files are dated - you therefore open the one with the latest date. However,you will be asked to rename it. When I rename I normally call it masterfilename +date, for example Smith2march2009.

When I have finished working on it I then save back to the internet.
                  The next time if I am working on another computer I would download Smith2march2009 and would reopen it with the date of that day.

As I say you do need to know what you are doing and make sure you always open the latest one. I also regularly delete old files from my computer that are no longer needed.

If you are not confident in renameing new files, knowing where they are stored on your computer and deleting old files that are not needed I would not recommend you do this - its very easy to get muddled and end up with numerous files! :(
                  Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine thats another thing I wanted to ask is it safe to delete old files ???

Comment

As long as you are sure they are no longer needed!
                      If you have any doubt whatsoever then copy them on to a memory stick, CD or external hard drive before deleting from your computer.
                      Elaine

Comment

now thats an idea thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X