Closure of Family History Online Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closure of Family History Online Site

The Family History Online service will close at noon (GMT) on Monday 2nd March 2009.

The FamilyHistoryOnline web site will then provide a link to take you to the findmypast.com web site to access the data.

I have only just realised that this is happening and wonder if other people are also aware?

Janet

Janet

Yes, I did know the site was closing, but I wasn't aware that FMP were taking it over!

Ooooo, bottoms, I have a few credits left!

OC

Comment

You should have received an email. This move has been planned for quite a while. I got familiar with using FHO and find FMP less friendly, but I expect I'll get over it!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oc

You should have had an email asking if you wanted to transfer your credits over to FMP. I did mine yesterday, not that 99 pence will get me far.

Sylvia
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

And are you aware that some of FHO records are not transferring to FMP? I don't know how many Family History Societies have boyctted the move but I do know that Berkshire records don't show on FMP - there may be others.
          Sue

Comment

This is obviously one of those areas where I took my eye off the ball as I was not aware of the changes.

Yes, I understand that many of the records will not be transferred over as many FHS are not keen, not surprising that they would not want all their hard earned voluntary work going to a fee paying site like FMP!

However, is this going to be the answer to growing Ancestry? FMP need to keep their eye firmly on the ball!

I am just waiting to see how many records do come the way of FMP and what exactly it will all mean. I am a great believer in bolstering the FHS's so I am hoping that the move will not be detrimental to these.

Janet

Comment

I'm really annoyed about this.

I assumed they'd transfer all the records from FHOL, but there's loads of stuff missing.

There is now nothing for Leicestershire. And I can't see any sign of the "wet" census, either. There doesn't seem to be a detailed list of databases on FMP like there used to be on FHOL, so you could see whether what you wanted was covered.

What a backward move. And FMP costs 5 times as much...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                There doesn't seem to be a detailed list of databases on FMP like there used to be on FHOL, so you could see whether what you wanted was covered.
                You'll find quite a detailed list at the following link:
                Help and Advice | Knowledge Base | Parish Records at findmypast.com
                - there is a bit of text to start with - just keep scrolling down.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine - I had found that page, but it didn't seem to work. If I clicked on Parish Registers or National Burial Index nothing seemed to happen - I hadn't realised it took so long for the whole page to download.

I do think the site is very badly designed, and not at all user-friendly. Why on earth couldn't they have an alphabetical list of counties, and a list of parishes within each county, like FHOL did?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    I assumed they'd transfer all the records from FHOL, but there's loads of stuff missing.

I believe it was up to the individual FHS's whether or not they wanted to sign up with findmypast and some didn't want to. Maybe they will provide some other way to access the data?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I hope so - it seems a pity for all that excellent data not to be accessible online. Some FHSs may sell it in fiche or CD form, but it's not really worth buying a whole CD if you're only looking for one or two baptisms in a particular parish.

Comment

Working...
                      X