X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one to date please

Would also appreciate a date for this photo as well please

Last edited by Ian H; 01-03-09, 21:21.

Oh wow! Was this a relative with all his awards? Almost certainly very late 19th or very early 20th century when sports were very popular.

Comment

ps, He was almost certainly a runner.

Comment

amazing photo

What an incredible photo. Agree with the date although the clock is typical 1880 onwards not much after 1900 - although whether awards kept pace with fashion is questionable but I'd say pre 1900. Extraordinary place to have the photo taken, rather than in or in front of his house. Also if the subject is the runner and his winnings who's the other guy ?? And no trophy as such or shield seems a bit odd. Do we know where this was taken?

Roger

Comment

Thanks for the input Roger and Barbara the runner is my Grt Grandfather William Phillips,he I was told was a very good runner and could jump a five bar gate.
          The photo was taken at Hay Lane ombersley Worcestershire.
          The filed was probably right by their house because they lived in Hay lane it was called the Racecourse but was known for horse racing but perhaps they held running there as well,the other man is his brother Thomas I think who was born in 1888 so early 1900's would probably fit.
          Last edited by Ian H; 02-03-09, 15:04.

Comment

I think the clock and the horses may have been a garniture ( I think that's how it's spelt).....sort of a 3 piece set....Roger??

Comment

I'd say 1908-1912. The stiff collar on the chap on the right is typical late Edwardian fashion.

Comment

Garniture

yes two garniture in fact - which even if the figures / horses are spelter rather than bronze was a generous prize. The assortment of prizes is extraordinary condiments and salvers etc etc - races sponsored by the local jewellers perhaps ! For such an obviously successful runner the absence of shields / trophies is odd - alot of sporting events where sponsored by individuals - my gg grandfather did bowls and trotting ponies and football - and clearly the advantage of a shield is that its a one off cost, maybe barr adding this years escutcheon; an annual prize is an expensive way of doing it. There is of course the possibility that this accounts for the discrepancy of date and object - I know that some prizes were not new on there presentation or adapted from a previous use. We have a motoring cup that has been altered in the 1920's from a chalice !!
                Do you have any of the prizes in the family still - silver , even plate can be dated easily and clocks ditto ?
                Any press available from the period - i can't believe he didn't get reported in the local rag ??
                Roger

Comment

1900 brenda xxx

Comment

What a great photo, here is a nice clean copy
                    and he looks like a runner

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone with the photos and thankyou Britec for the cleaned up copy looks great.
                      Some of the items he won are still in the family the statues of the horses and the figures which I think I was told were brass someone had one of the clocks I will have to try and track it down.
                      He also must have won more races after this photo was taken because there is a weather clock in the family given to my grandfather which he won in a race but I have checked it for anything to get get a date and theres nothing not even a makers mark.
                      Also I will try the papers but the nearest paper is the Droitwich Guardian which copies dont go back far enough not much before the 1930's only the odd clippings at the local library.
                      Last edited by Ian H; 04-03-09, 12:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X