Photo Dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Dating

Hi could someone kindly give me an idea when this photo was taken please.
    The boy in the middle could be one of three this couple had they were born 1877,1888,1894 if this is any help to date it.

Last edited by Ian H; 01-03-09, 22:15.

I would say this is the 3rd son in the early 1900s

Comment

Thanks again Barbara this would be then George phillips the younger brother of the runner with his trophies and other brother Thomas.

Comment

It looks more 1890's to me, particularly the womans clothes. Mind you she may have been clinging to the fashions of the past well into the Edwardian era I suppose! Personally though I'd favour the middle son 1888 as the child.

Comment

The middle son is the one with the runner?

Comment

1888....the man and boy have like ribbons in there lapels....also could it be a christening? i wonder what religion as the man with his beard and sideburns some religions had them.also has the women got a bible or prayer book on her knee?boy is wearing cloggs. brenda xxx

Comment

Barbara-I think the brother on the photo with the trophies is probably the middle one Thomas born 1888,because everyone seems to think around the early 1900's so i think he looks to old to be George who was born 1894?
              Also Richard I thought the child would be Thomas until it possibly being a christening photo was mentioned by Brenda.
              Brenda- The family were C of E came to the parish of Ombersley about 1880 where their first daughter mary was born but William was born 1877 but wasnt christened to 1887,his sister mary was christened 1889 age 9 and Rosa on the same day 1889 age 7.why would they leave it so long when the church was still a big part of their lives in those days?
              The other children George b1894 was christened age 4 in 1898 and his brother Thomas b1888 christened in 1891.
              Could the photo then of been William my Grt Grandfather age 10 in 1887?

Comment

Hi Ian

Cleaned & Brightened up your photo.

Comment

Thanks Britec thats great how do you do that?
                  I have photoshop and that was my poor attempt from a scan sent to me from a relative it was really light to start with but you have brought out so much more detail.
                  Could you explain what you used to do it?
                  Also is there a way to enlarge very small photos without distorting them?

Comment

The thing that keeps putting me off an early date is the clothes just don't look quite right.......:o

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      Also is there a way to enlarge very small photos without distorting them?
                      Hiya
                      No reason why anything should distort.

The original of this one is only 8 cms wide (a bit over 3 inches).

Before scanning, I 'upped' the scale ....
                      can't remember what I did it at but probably 300 % or 400 % and then scanned at a resolution of 300.

That let me zoom in on the background quite nicely .. see pic 2 (lady on bike).

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Brian, how about a tutorial using Photoshop on cleaning up these old photos?

john

Comment

Hi Ian,

Like Rachel said its all about what you scan it at, I scan all my photos at a min of 600 resolution, also i know this sounds mad but try to scan black and white photo's as a colour photo its gets more detail and data from the photo that way.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Rachel and Britec this photo I had sent to me from a relly by email dont know if i can get it again is this there anything you could do with it for me please?
                            I am only interested in the bottom row from Sgt E Colley to Prt F Brown 6 brothers and one brother in law from the same family in ww1!
                            Sadly three of the brothers were killed.
                            I have tried to make the photos bigger because for some of them it is the only picture I have of them to use for my tree but they just get really pixelated.
                            If nothing can be done I would appreciate it if you could explain what to try and get my relly to do with the scan so I can blow it up.

Also anyone with people from worcestershire who were in ww1 might find this usefull.
                            Last edited by Ian H; 04-03-09, 22:49.

Comment

Hello Ian
                              Here are some scanning instructions

and here are some different ones

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 07-03-09, 08:47.
                              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Scans

Thanks for the advice on scans Rachel I tried it on a photo that was quite small and was able to enlarge it without any loss of quality.
                                What i would like to know is how you bring out the extra detail in the photo like Britec did for me on my attempt you couldnt see the brick wall and the faces were not so clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                                  Thanks for the advice on scans Rachel I tried it on a photo that was quite small and was able to enlarge it without any loss of quality.
                                  What i would like to know is how you bring out the extra detail in the photo like Britec did for me on my attempt you couldnt see the brick wall and the faces were not so clear.
                                  Glad you managed to do a useful enlargement

Is the pic in your first post the one you cleaned ?
                                  If you post the original we can all have a look and give you an idea of how to tackle it.

What programme do you have ?

(I use Photoshop CS2)

Comment

Before and after

Here are the originals and a couple of attempts.

Before

After

Before

my attempt for this is at beginning of thread.
                                    I used photoshop cs2
                                    Last edited by Ian H; 05-03-09, 23:37.

Comment

Hi Ian,

I hope you don't mind but I done a quick tutorial on how to do a bit of restoration on your photo.

Now if you like the tutorial I will do some more of them for you and everyone who wants to learn, maybe we can get a Sticky Thead called tutorials added to forum, it will save having to answer alot of questions all the time.

can't seem to embed code so link will have to do

YouTube - Photo Restoration

Comment

Nice one Brian

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 13-03-09, 11:31.

Comment

Working...
                                        X