Gedcom imports to Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom imports to Legacy

Tell me if I've got this right. I just bought Legacy and am creating gedcom files from my Access database. Because I have so much data in Access I'm creating the gedcom file piecemeal and trying to load little by little. I take it that the first file I import with people loads those people. But if I want to load additional information for the existing people in my tree I have to create a whole new family file and reload the people again with all info. A second or third gedcom file won't add info to an existing entry. I did this and all the people were duplicated as new entries.

So that tells me that getting gedcom files from other places only gets you new people with any info included with them. Right?

Just to be sure I am understanding what you have done: your first gedcom file contained all your people but not all the information about those people, and subsequent files would contain the same people with additional information about them. Is this right?

Assuming it is, then yes they would be added as duplicates. As you have discovered. But you can merge duplicates. Look in help for merge. Also be sure to read Merging family files - best practices.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Oh and welcome to FTF! You will find it a friendly and informative site.

Comment

Your best bet would be to download the whole Gedcom of your tree from Ancestry and then open it in Legacy. You are making it far more complicated than it needs to be.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy but I have no data on Ancestry. It is all in a personal MS Access database. Linda, you interpreted what I'm doing (or want to do) correctly. I saw the merge duplicates feature but haven't investigated it yet. With close to 500 people in my database I didn't want a process to be too cumbersome. But I will look at it and see what it's all about. With the bulk of my data now loaded it may not be hard to use for the rest of the data.

Thanks,

Jude

Comment

Sorry misread your posting.:o
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
            X