Norton anti virus has expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton anti virus has expired

My daughter has Norton Anti Virus on her PC, but it has expired. She can't afford to renew it at the moment so wants to install the free AVG. Will she have to completely uninstall Norton or is it possible to just uninstall the anti virus part?
    She has Norton SystemWorks installed now and wants to keep all the other bits like Ghost, GoBack, Cleanup & Disk Doctor if possible. I know that installing another anti virus programme will confuse the PC and it's confused enough already . Does anyone know if it can be done please?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Norton Anti Virus on her PC, but it has expired
    Could be the best thing that happened to it ;D

Seriously, AVG or Avast, Avast is free. As for Norton you may need to go to their site as it can be difficult to get rid, it has been known to leave bits behind and interfere with other Antivirus progs

Comment

I agree Norton does not always pick up things that AVG does
      here is the link if you do decide to uninstall it
      Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Comment

I ditched Norton anti-virus a while ago but have kept the System Doctor and System Works as I find them useful.

Ann
        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

We had a terrible job uninstalling Norton completely. It just would NOT do it. In the end OH had to ring their support line and it was done remotely. Like science fiction - you could see the cursor moving around and the puter being 'manipulated'.

We have now installed Virgin PCguard which is free, seems to be efficient but hasn't solved our problem of the puter disconnecting *frown*
          Rose

Comment

Ive just installed Kapersky 2009 suite - its great. I got it free for a year through trial pay - you choose a merchant and get a small thing - I bought ink from ink club which I do anyway and you get it free. You can also get it free if you have Barclays online banking. I used to have AVG but its not as reliable as it was a few years back and you have to add on firewalls and spy blasters and stuff, I like a suite which has the lot.

Comment

did you not like the zonelarm one you had then Heather ???

Comment

Well done Heather you have done the right thing

Kapersky is one of the best, Nod32 and Bitdefender are good as well these 3 have been best for some time.

Forget Norton and Mcafee they just put loads of money into marketing but that dont make them the best.

I always say to people if you pay all that money for a good Laptop or PC why not shell out for a good virus scanner that will look after your pc.

But still make sure you use a spyware cleaner as well, something like Superantispyware SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

and you should have trouble free computing.

Comment

I thought Kapersky came with its own Spyware Brian ???

Comment

Even so Val your still need something like Superantispyware, well I think so anyway

Comment

really ??? thats interesting will look into that thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        did you not like the zonelarm one you had then Heather ???
                        I liked it Val but it had terrible conflicts with Firefox when that was updated so as it was just about to run out in a couple of weeks I thought Id get another free suite through trial pay - as before I just bought £20 worth of ink from inkclub - and I chose the Kapersky suite as Id read it was one of the best.

Ive also added superantispy and malwarebytes - malwarebytes found a trojan when I had zonealarm suite.

Comment

thanks for your reply Heather I didnt realise the suites did not have the whole thing ???? how many anti spyware programmes can you have installed on one PC ????

Comment

Yes it does have everything in one Val, but as we all know nothing is 100% proof. Having said that, I ran spybot this morning and it didnt find one thing on here whereas I used to have about 20 or 30 entries every few days from sites Id visited.

Comment

thanks Heather I just clicked on your link for the free Kapersky but its not showing inkclub as any special offers ???

Comment

Yes, you click on the link and it goes to the trialpay site. You then click on "offers" choose one - theres even free ones like subs to lovefilm - and then go back and click on the link they give you for the details of your freebie program including the key to use.

Just checked the link - in case anyone else wants kapersky free - its the right one, I sent you straight to the page where you enter your details. Below that it explains how to get your freebie.
                                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 18-03-09, 23:38.

Comment

nudged up

Comment

Check with your ISP as often their broadband package includes free anti-virus software. BT provide MacAfee (used to be Norton ) and we have far fewer problems with our computer now than when we used to buy Norton anti-virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazza View Post
                                      Check with your ISP as often their broadband package includes free anti-virus software. BT provide MacAfee (used to be Norton ) and we have far fewer problems with our computer now than when we used to buy Norton anti-virus.
                                      Can I just add that with BT's security package, you only get it "free" if you are on anything other than Option 1 for your broadband. As we live miles from our telephone exchange it is a waste of money for us to have anything other than Option 1 because our speeds are so low. Consequently, we pay an extra £3.43 a month...and it is for Norton. You only get McAfee with the dearer broadband plans. I used to have Norton as it was on the computer when I bought it. I wasn't too keen as it slowed the computer down quite a bit...but it worked as a security package so I put up with it....until it went wrong. It took Norton over a week to sort out what needed to be done to put it right and I was left with an unprotected computer during that time. As AOL were my ISP in those days I cancelled my Norton subscription and downloaded AOL's McAfee Security Suite for which I paid £2.99 a month. I really liked it but as I've now left AOL ( who I DON'T like!) I can't use it any more so have gone back to Norton as provided by BT, my new ISP. I don't like it as much as McAfee. It STILL slows the computer down horribly whilst it is updating.

Ann
                                      ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Ann this Kaspersky Internet security is wonderful as Heather said you can get it free if you buy something online she tells you more about it on here
                                        Or you can buy it I got mine on Amazon it was a real bargain have a look.

Comment

Working...
                                        X