birth look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth look up

can anyone help? cannot find birth of william cooper c1740 he wed alice jeffcoat in 1765 in mancetter warks but i cannot find birth in mancetter?

Where have you looked?

You will only probably find a baptism anyway, unless the vicar noted the date of birth as well.

You need the parish registers.

Comment

ok thanks.

Comment

Birth certificates as we know then only started in the latter half of 1837. Before that you only have the parish registers to check on.

Have you looked at those for Mancetter?

Comment

How certain are you that he was born in Mancetter?

There is no William Cooper on the IGI for that time period for Mancetter

There is a submitted entry. Is that where you have got your info from?

It says abt 1740. That means it's entire guess work on the part of the submitter.

Comment

i know, i only have his marriage in 1765 to alice jeffcoat in mancetter, on it -it says OF mancetter, thats why i cant find out if he was born there, i too have been through parish records for mancetter with no luck. so i have to look in another parish-- but where?

Comment

If an IGI entry says "of" somewhere, that almost always means it's been submitted by a member of the LDS Church who wasn't really sure. So you possibly haven't found the marriage at all. I think you'd be safer to come forward in time and trace them back through the censuses. That way you may be able to identify children whose birth certificates you can send for. And from that you'll find who actually married who.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thank you, i know he wed alice as i have been in touch with people who have the same tree, although they are stuck on william too, i have been through all the census,s in my line and i have them- but this one is too early, never mind, will have to get it through one of his children like you say. c.

Comment

"Of" just means that is where he was living when he got married; it might not be the same parish where he was born.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

yes i realise that, i will keep going, i do not want to give in to this.

Comment

Originally posted by cherel1 View Post
                      thank you, i know he wed alice as i have been in touch with people who have the same tree, although they are stuck on william too, i have been through all the census,s in my line and i have them- but this one is too early, never mind, will have to get it through one of his children like you say. c.
                      Be aware, that just because you have been in contact with people who all have the same information doesn't mean it's correct.

It means that they have all copied the same info from the IGI which is submitted.

They could all have copied the wrong info. It does happen, believe me.
                      Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 01-03-09, 22:28.

Comment

Margaret has said what I was going to. It might be worth contacting the people on GR to see if their source is the same as yours. It's just possible that one of them has found a more reliable source of information.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

been the record office today with no luck, found the marriage but nothing on it about fathers name or birth, no births at all for william - so on i go.

Comment

Marriage records pre 1837 don't usually have a fathers name on them.

I would assume then that he wasn't born in Mancetter. Spread out gradually and keep trying different parishes.

Comment

yes i will.thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X