Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prison sentence - how would I find out which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison sentence - how would I find out which?

As some of you know, I was gob smacked to find my GGFx2 indicted for murder on the Old Bailey online in 1844 Stepney. The long case ended:

(Horstead received a good character.)

HORSTEAD— GUILTY of Manslaughter. —Strongly recommended to mercy.

Confined Two Months.

Now how could I find out where he was "confined" please? As I wondered if there would be any more detail about him in a prison record? Too early for photos sadly.

There's a listing of all the sentences in Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper June 23rd 1844 which includes James Horstead. It doesn't say where the majority were to be confined, but at the end of the list where the sentences are too short for them to be bothered to give the names of the people it states the remainder were being confined at Newgate prison for varying short lengths of time (between 2 and 14 days), so I don't know if that would mean the rest were going to Newgate too?

Comment

Newgate was the nearest prison to the Old Bailey so I expect a lot of prisoners went there. Almost opposite was St. Sepulchre (also known as Holy Sepulchre) church which still has the bell which was rung the night before a prisoner was hanged.
      My husband's gt x 3 grandmother was baptised there and her son William was tried at the Old Bailey for theft. He was found innocent after evidence from his father and his future fatherinlaw...but I found him in Parkhurst prison in 1871!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Redacted

Comment

I thought he was found guilty of manslaughter?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Newgate was the prison for the Old Bailey I think most prisoners were sent there after sentencing and before being moved on to other prisons.
            The registers for Newgate are held at the National Archives and you should get a physical description of your James as well as an indication of where he was sent afterwards. I looked at one of the registers last time I was at Kew and learnt that the man I was interested in was 5ft 10", had a fair complexion, dark brown hair, hazel eyes and was stout! He spent two weeks in Newgate before being transferred to Millbank prison.

This is the page in the catalogue with the registers for Newgate for the year you're interested in : Detecting your browser settings

Comment

Working...
            X