Strange Match on GR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Match on GR

A couple of years ago I had a Hot Match with my brother's name, same year and place of birth. I contacted the tree owner who just replied along the lines of 'this is not the same person'.

Yesterday I had one of those messages that GR send saying they had found a match for my brother. The tree owner was the same person.

I have checked on Ancestry and there was no other person with the same name born in the same year. There is one born 2 years earlier but surely this person would know what year his relative was born (my brother was born 1945).

I cannot contact the tree owner again as I am no longer a paid member but I am really curious about this.

What should I do?

Any advice welcome.
    Last edited by Granny Lynne; 01-03-09, 09:45. Reason: addition
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Lynne...................I'll contact them if you like.

Comment

[QUOTE=Granny Lynne;1602819]
      I have checked on Ancestry and there was no other person with the same name born in the same year. There is one born 2 years earlier but surely this person would know what year his relative was born (my brother was born 1945).
      QUOTE]

It is possible that this person has put on distantly related people and guessed at year of birth - perhap the chap who shares your brother's name married one of the tree owner's cousins? Although I know names of people who have married my cousins, and in one case even her birthday, ie day and month, I don't know exactly how old they are.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Libby
        Thank you for offering. I will give it some thought and will PM you if I decide to try contacting him again.

Judith
        Yes, I never thought of that, but if he was a distant relative, how can the tree owner be so sure his relative is not the same person. I gave him no other details about my brother. (Hope that makes sense).
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

sometime people make mistakes

just try again like nothing has happen
          wye surrey/london/birmingham
          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
            but if he was a distant relative, how can the tree owner be so sure his relative is not the same person. I gave him no other details about my brother. (Hope that makes sense).
            Did you ask if this could be your brother? Maybe the tree owner knows the man on his tree dioesn't have any sisters?

I hate replies that don't give any reason! Why couldn't he/she have said how they know it's not the same person? :(

Comment

Merry
              Exactly! Why couldn't he just tell me how he knew.
              I can't decide whether to make contact via Libby or just leave it.
              Maybe I shall just have to hope he gets the same match and contacts me. Having said that, if he remembers our previous contact he probably won't - LOL!
              Lynne

Comment

Working...
              X