Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Charles BENNETT's first wife?

Here's what I know

1871 census - RG10; Piece: 2252; Folio: 67; Page: 4, Charles is living at Sladesbridge with his parents Philip & Elizabeth, and 5 siblings. He is 22 years old, and unmarried.

1881 census - RG11; Piece: 2291; Folio: 75; Page: 6, his mother Elizabeth has died, and father Philip has a new wife, Sarah (nee Hugo). The family have moved into Bodmin, and Charles is now listed as a widower. Also listed is a 7 year old granddaughter to Philp, May, born in Bodmin. I assume this young girl to be Charles' daughter.

I've trawled through the indexes, I cannot find an obvious marriage for Charles, nor can I find a May Bennett born in Bodmin in 1873/4. I thought if I could find her birth, I could send for her birth cert to find her mother, but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

Can anybody help?
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

The IGI is showing an "I" marriage entry for Charles Bennett, father Philip and Jane Buckingham for 1868 in North Hill.

I know this does not match the census, and Jane Buckingham shows up in freebmd with no Bennett groom. Also a Mary Jane Bennett baptised at North Hill in 1874 to Charles and Jane.

It might be worth looking into to see where that Charles and Jane and Mary Jane were in 1881.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

The FreeBMD entry for Jane's marriage is missing a man. I had a look for Charles on that page and there is one - Q4 1868 Launceston 5c 45.

The birth is also on FreeBMD. It would appear she died a year later though.
      Tracy

Comment

Thanks for that Diane. I will check it out, but I have links to a Bennett line at North Hill/Linkinhorne parishes, and so far as I can tell, there are no realtionships between the 2, but sometimes in this family history, you can never tell Never discount anything I've found, no matter how improbable.
        Pauline
        xx

Comment

Thanks for that Tracy. North Hill would come under Launceston registration district, but if that one is in 1868, it's not the right one for my Charles as he was still unmarried in 1871.
          Pauline
          xx

Comment

Just checked 1871. He's definitely not your guy as this one is with Jane and 2 kids then.
            Tracy

Comment

Thanks Tracy
              Pauline
              xx

Comment

So back to square one !

Have you been able to discount the Mary Ann Bennett registered at Bodmin in Mar Q 1878 ?

Of course, they might not have got married at all, and Mary could be registered under her mother's name !

Where are Charles and Mary, and Philip and wife, in 1891 and 1901 (sorry I don't have an ancestry sub) - are the birthplaces and ages consistent ?

Di
                Last edited by dicole; 01-03-09, 01:19.
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

There are 2 marriages for Charles Bennett showing on ancestry
                  Jun 1874 Redruth vol 5c, page 435 to Elizabeth Barker or Elizabeth Jane Opie
                  Dec 1874 Falmouth vol 5c, page 272 to Elizabeth Ann Code/Cood or Mary Jane Wills
                  My knowledge of the geography of Cornwall doesn't stretch to knowing whther either or both of these can be discounted because of distance.
                  Margaret

Comment

There are some possible deaths
                    Elizabeth Bennett Mar 1874 Bodmin vol 5c, page 64
                    Mary Jane Bennett Dec 1873 Launceston vol 5c, page 19, or Jun 1875 Falmouth vol 5c, page 144, or Mar 1879 Falmouth vol 5c, page 146

Margaret

Comment

Well I've been doing some more digging re Charles Bennett's first wife, and have come up with the following theory.

On the subject of Charles' first wife, there is one in Dec quarter 1871, to either Amelia Easton or Elizabeth Tregaskis in Stoke Damerel. Going on the hunch that Tregaskis is a good old Cornish surname, I had a look at the 1871 census, and lo and behold there is Elizabeth Tregaskis living in Egloshayle, very close to where Charles Bennett was living with his family in 1871. It would appear that this Elizabeth was widowed, and that her maiden name was Derry. She is also in the 1861 census as Tregaskis, aged 23, and a widow. Going back through the marriages between 1851 and 1861, what do I find but a marriage betwwen Elizabeth Derry and Thomas Tregaskis! I know all this needs to be proved, but it seems like a pretty good bet to me. I still don't understand why the marriage was in Stoke D, but I feel about 90% certain that is the right one. As yet I have not traced a birth for Charles' daughter, other than the fact that she is there on the 1881 census. Need to do some more digging on that one.

Re Charles second marriage to Annie, he again appears to have married in Stoke Damerel. Re his wife Annie, I originally thought that her maiden name may be Nicholls given son Gilbert's middle name being that. However, she consistently says in the cenus returns that she comes from St Columb Minor. I have been in touch with Paul Mellett who is the OPC for that parish, and there is Matilda Ann Nicholls Grigg who is about the only one of the right age. There is still the Nicholls connection there. Then on Free BMD, there is a marriage of Charles Bennett to Annie Grigg in Stoke Damerel, Devon. Why there I have no idea, and to be honest this is all educated guesswork.

Any thoughts on this at all?
                      Pauline
                      xx

Comment

Pauline
                        Is this the death of Elizabeth
                        Elizabeth Bennett Mar 1874 Bodmin vol 5c, page 64 I posted it before on the first page of your thread.
                        I think you are right about Elizabeth Tregaskis being the 1st wife and no doubt mother of the child.
                        Is Bodmin the local reg district for the places where your people are living?
                        Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your replies. I think that the death registration in 1874 in Bodmin sounds right. Possibly a death in childbirth or just after as from census entries, 1874 would be the year that daughter May was born.

I know now that she was defintely May, and not Mary, as the adminstration of her father's will was granted to her as May Bennett. However, I am struggling to find a birth registration for her. I've looked under the variants of Bennett to no avail, and also done a search on Free BMD for just May between 1873 - 1875, but there's nothing that I can find:(

Any ideas? I would expect a Bodmin registration.
                          Pauline
                          xx

Comment

Working...
                          X