Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone any good at Esperanto? Unusual first name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone any good at Esperanto? Unusual first name.

Today I got the 1911 census for my granddad's family. lo and behold there was a brother I didn't know of. The census image says Arcie Horcjo Hoyle. There is a ^ above the c in the first name and another above the c in the second name. Then on freeBMD birth 1910 in Halifax Arcie Horcje Hoyle, so obviously the same one.

Given that Great granddad was a dab hand at esperanto and an original man, do you think that this is an Esperanto equivalent of something like Archie Horatio?

Am off to bed now but will look in tomorrow.
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

From what I remember of Esperanto (my grandfather was a great linguist and had a Linguaphone Esperanto course) it is supposed to be phonetic and builds on features of many languages. I think your "translation" is highly likely.

Here's what looks like the official Esperanto website.
    Esperanto: Multilingual Information Center: English (angla)
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I learned a bit of Esperanto at junior school, and the ^ above the c means that it's pronounced "ch", so Arĉie would indeed be pronounced Archie.

J is pronounced like y, so I would have thought Horatio would be Horaĉijo or Horaŝijo.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-02-09, 20:24.

Comment

Thank you Uncle John, will check that out. Your granddad and my g granddad would have had a lot in common. Mine was locally known as 'the one man league of nations'.

Mary, I thought the circumflex bit gave it away as being esperanto but like you was a bit puzzled by the second name - there seems to be an 'a' missing to make 'Horatio, doesn't there?

I've had a quick look on FreeBMD for any deaths or marriages but nothing showing up. Will have a trawl of the full indexes later. The funny thing is, this child was never mentioned in the family.
        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
        X