Surname change between 1911 & 1928

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname change between 1911 & 1928

Does anyone know if there would be any records kept of a surname change between the census in 1911 and this person's marriage in 1928? Or indeed could she have just called herself by another name?

I have this person's BC in 1902 which states her surname is Ratcliffe, but when she marries in 1928 her surname is S*****. (Her daughter's BC in 1931 shows MMN as S***** too.) The father listed on the BC in 1902 is not the man who (I thought) her mother was married to, but her mother is listed as Eliza Ann Ratcliffe, formerly Ch******. In 1911 her surname is listed as Ratcliffe, and she is listed as niece to the head of household, but her mother is listed as wife and with the same surname as the head. The mother married this head of the household in 1891 and had at least 2 children with him. The father of the child born in 1902, Ratcliffe, died in 1904 so do you think Eliza would have gone back to her husband after her child's father's death? The birth was 200 miles away from Eliza's home & family.

I think I need to get the marriage certificate from 1928 to check who is listed as the bride's father.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Sue, she could have called herself by any name she liked, as long as she wasn't intending to defraud someone, and it is unlikely there will be a record of the name change. The person named as father on her marriage cert might not be her biological father as it could just be the person she thought of as her father.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite.

I think I will order the marriage certificate though, just to see what it says. She was certainly brought up in the household where she is listed in 1911 with the man we all thought was her father (head of household in 1911), so he is probably listed as such on her marriage certificate.

Another mystery that probably will stay unsolved - at least until 1921 census when she may be listed as 'daughter' instead of 'niece'!
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
      X