Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Names on Certs

Hi,
    I was just wondering whether a womans death certificate includes her maiden name, or alternatively if a birth cert would definitely have the mothers` maiden name on, or whether it was dependent on the year/parish/registrar etc
    Thanks,
    Craig

PS. the death cert is 1883, and the births 1840s-50s

An English death cert doesn't include a married woman's maiden name, but I think a Scottish one would.

An English birth cert (after mid-1837, when Civil Registration began) will have both parents' names, including the mother's maiden name. Marriage certs only have the father's name.

For more info about what you'll find on certs:

Birth Certificate Tutorials

Comment

As Mary has said English death certs do not include maiden names but Scottish death Certs do include maiden names and lots of other useful information as well.

I have a Scottish Death Cert which states name of deceased, his occupation, his spouse and her maiden name, his father's name and whether deceased or not, his mother's name and maiden name and whether deceased or not, what person died of, the address, date and time of death, signature of informant and where that person lives. So you can see you do get a lot of information from a Scottish Death Cert but nothing like this on an English one.

Scottish Birth Certs are equally informative and always include extra details, but it was the Scottish death cert with everything on that found my Gibson who died in Glasgow (and aren't there many of that name in Glasgow!!) as being born in another county in Scotland with all his family details which led me backwards.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 09:14.

Comment

Just for ref, an English/Welsh death cert does include maiden names for women (when known), from the same Q they start adding date of birth to the death indexes, which, from memory, is in 1969 (Q2??)

Of course all those where these details are vital seem to die in 1968!

Comment

As a new member, you may not have found this page yet:

All About Certificates - Family Tree Forum

It is one of the pages in our Reference Libary - The Wiki and gives lots of information and examples of what you can find on certificates.

You can find the rest of the Wiki by clicking on The Wiki on the menu bar at the top of this page.

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have an english birth cert from 1901 which does't include the mothers maiden name.So I guess some slip through

Comment

And I have some where a previous married name has been written instead of the maiden name, such as:

Ann Green married Mr Taylor and had children with him, where her details are corectly written as Ann Taylor formerly Green. Mr Taylor died and she married Mr Hacker. When she has children with him (and it's the same on all the birth certs - five children) she gives her details as Ann Hacker formerly Taylor when it should say Ann Hacker late Taylor formerly Green. As there doesn't seem to be anothing unusual about the marriages for Ann Green I can only assume it was the way the registrar asked the questions that the reply came back the same each time. I've seen two of the birth certs for the second marriage and it's the same registrar both times!

Comment

there was no father listed either on that particular cert.For the obvious reason.

Comment

Working...
                X