James Cotchin IGI birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Cotchin IGI birth

I've got a problem with James Cotchin bc1814.

On the 1851 census his place of birth is Southcote, Bucks (now Befordshire) which is in Leighton Buzzard. Later on he just says Leighton Buzzard.

In 1840 he married Martha Hancock in Westminster, London and his father William appears on the IGI record.

Looking at the IGI births there are two results for James Cotchin born 1814 +/-10 years in England. One is a James Cotching born 1812 in Leighton Buzzard, Bedford, the other James Cotchin born 1815 in Addington, Buckingham. The latter is nearest in date but he said he was born in Leighton Buzzard

Addington is 14 miles from Leighton Buzzard so probably (in my opinion) a bit too far away to get wrong.

Just to add insult to injury the parents of both are William and Mary
    Hail Spode!

Maybe the first James died and the second was a replacement? You really need to look at the parish registers to confirm this though.

OC

Comment

Have you looked at who the other James Cotchin might be - like OC suggested, the first died, or were there TWO Williams who married Marys ? Did both James' marry or have a census record ?

Elimination is a good place to start with things like this - and the parish registers are a necessity to check. Although I have found they are not always conclusive or helpful, they are the first place to start.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I see the IGI also has a marriage for James Cotching to Charlotte Mills
        07 AUG 1849 Collingbourne Kingston, Wiltshire,

Is this your chap marrying again, or the other chap?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks guys,

My James just married the once. The family lived in Northampton and were all to do with shoe manufacturing. He married in Westminster for some reason.

Would the parish register prove one way or the other? I suppose it might say mother's maiden name would it?
          Hail Spode!

Comment

The parish reg might record the burial of the first one. There might also be marginal notes against the baptism which will help. You don't know till you look!

You could also follow the other man through the census and see where that takes you - maybe a relative living with him who will help you to rule in or out. But I think you have now reached the realms of constructing mini trees from parish records!

OC

Comment

Why does everything end in making mini trees from parish records....:o

Oh well, one more thing to add to the list for when I get to the not so local family history centre.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

The baptisms won't give mother's maiden name. But they will give father's occupation, which you will be able to match against the father's occupation on James's marriage certificate.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh Kate, I always forget that not every church is as obliging as my Lancashire ones!

However, it's still worth a look as sometimes things become clear when you see the parish register in its entirety, rather than events in isolation on the IGI.

OC

Comment

Were they married by licence at Westminster, or by banns?

Banns suggest they were residing there - perhaps James was working in London for a time ? If by licence, was there a reason not to have banns called in the local parish ? Was the bride from a different place ? Perhaps the London churches did no inquire too closely about the circumstancs and ages of the parties ?

At one time in Sydney town, it was VERY fashionable to be married in the city with a wedding breakfast at a large hotel, rather than getting married at the local church (and it still goes on today, only they want a picturesque church now).

Do applications for marriage licences still exist anywhere, and who would have issued and kept them ?

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                    X