Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Postmen - late 1800's/ early 1900's - any info at Kew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postmen - late 1800's/ early 1900's - any info at Kew?

Does anyone know if there is likely to be any info on men who signed up to be postmen at The National Archives at Kew?

I'm trying to see if there is anything on a postman in Surrey called 'Alfred John Champion'.

I may go to Kew soon and I've only used the 1911 census there recently and have not been brave enough to try using the other reference material as I would not know what I'm doing or what's available!

I'm trying to make a list in advance of my visit of my family that might give me something to look up so I can get used to using some of the other sources of data that they have up there.

Would 'GPB' pension data be available? On his 1911 census it said worker for 'GPB' and 'Postman'. Was that the 'General Postal Board'?

Claire

I don't know what GPB stands for, but I doubt if it was anything to do with the Royal Mail. Is it definitely GPB and not GPO?

Many establishments employed their own postmen to sort and post mail and he may have been that sort of postman.

Either way, I don't THINK the records of ordinary postmen would be held at TNA...but I could be very wrong!

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along in a minute.

OC

Comment

I haven't read all this but it seems to be a comprehensive record of what is available

The British Postal Museum & Archive - Online Catalogue - Family History Guide
      Jackie

Comment

This may be useful

About Us — The British Postal Museum and Archive

(Jackie and I agree on this, we posted at the same time!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          This may be useful

About Us — The British Postal Museum and Archive

(Jackie and I agree on this, we posted at the same time!)
          LOL :D (I've just put a post on asking for it to be added to the Wiki)
          Jackie

Comment

Claire, are you sure it says GPB, or could it be GPO (General Post Office)?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I doubt that there would be any central records of postmen. Even up to the 1960s most things were devolved to individual Head Postmasters. As Kite says, the abbreviation is GPO.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Many years ago I went to the British Postal Museum and Archives. It was a very interesting place for the history of the postal service, but certainly when I went I could not find any details of individual workers.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 28-02-09, 16:56.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your replies. I've checked the 1911 census sheet and he has definitely written a 'B' so it is GPB.

I'll have a look at the links you've supplied and see what direction they point me in.

Thanks for all your help!

On the otherhand it could be an 'O' on looking again but it is indented on the right hand side and looks like a B!
                  Last edited by Claire EDe; 28-02-09, 14:32. Reason: additional comment

Comment

The following site, which is part of the Post Office Archives, may be of interest, as it gives some idea of the history of pensions for post office workers:

50connect : Post Office Records
                    Last edited by Janet; 28-02-09, 16:55.

Comment

Hi Janet

Sounds like that might be my best bet then! Many thanks for providing that link. I'd not heard about that before.

Comment

You need to bear in mind that the GPO (later the Post Office) was a government department until it became a public corporation in the early 1970s and staff were routinely required to sign the Official Secrets Act.

Comment

I have been to British Postal Museum and they are very helpful. I have the appointment and Retirement records of my Great Grandfather.
                          Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Hi Fi

Thanks for that. I'm collecting info together to send them an email about my rellie. Hopefully they will have something. Dad thought he was a photographer but every census or certificate I have he is a postman. One year he was described as an 'unestablished town postman' but I don't know what that meant. It may have been his Dad that was the photographer or photography may have been his hobby.

I'll send you a PM about Kew.

Comment

Originally posted by Fi & Lilly View Post
                              I have been to British Postal Museum and they are very helpful. I have the appointment and Retirement records of my Great Grandfather.
                              What grade(s) did he join and retire from the GPO on?

Comment

Originally posted by Claire EDe View Post
                                One year he was described as an 'unestablished town postman' but I don't know what that meant.
                                "Unestablished" is a Civil Service term meaning that he wasn't "on the establishment" - so he wasn't in the pension scheme.

Comment

Oh that does not seem like he'll be in the pension record at that time then! Let's hope he joined it after 1901 !

In 1891 Alfred John Champion was a ? postman, born 1871.
                                  There is a short word before Postman on the 1891 census for him in Dorking, Surrey, but I can't read it.

He was a postman at his marriage in 1895

1901 Census said 'unestablished town postman'

1911 Census just said postman

1918 he died along with 4other Champions in the town, probably from Spanish flu.

Thanks for your advice Uncle John!

Comment

Working...
                                  X