Buried by "Succentor"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buried by "Succentor"?

Thomas Watkins was buried in Claines Church Worcester on 26 Dec 1916.

I have looked at microfilm of burials and in the margin it clearly states
    "performed by T.C. de la Hey, Succentor of Worcester Cathedral"
    It is the only one in the register that I have come across and I am wondering why? Is it because it's Boxing Day? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Helen
    Helen in Glos

I've never come across it before but there is a good explanation here:

Succentor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joanie

Comment

A succentor is a musical priest in a cathedral and is usually the precentor's deputy.

I wouldn't think Boxing Day was relevant, other than the precentor was having a day off after the strenuous lduties of Christmas day!

OC

Comment

Thanks for help about role of succentor.
        I'm now just left puzzling as to why an official from Worcester Cathedral would perform the burial in this parish church about 3 miles away from the Cathedral. I did not find any more occurences in the small sample of the burial register that I examined.
        Helen in Glos

Comment

If the vicar was indisposed then another clergyman could have deputised, (it sometimes happened when my vicar was ill, they would call on another vicar from a neighbouring parish or get a retired one in from the near by home for retired clergy at Dormansland)

Comment

Thanks for all your input. Jill, I expect that must have been the case, that the usual
            vicar was just unavailable or as OC suggests putting his feet up after Christmas day. It sounded so exotic when I first read it.
            Helen in Glos

Comment

hi

Is it possible he could have been related to the desceased.
              My grans brother was a vicar in hertford, but performed my grans burial in london.

sorry but its a long shot
              Lorraine

Comment

Our vicar is ill at the moment and clergy from our cathedral are often pleased to be able to 'help out' with services. The Vicar of the parish you are looking at was probably taking his post Christmas break with his family. The days before major festivals are very busy and most clergy take a break immediately after. (My husband was only too glad to relax with the family at those times.)

Btw A Succentor is not a very high official in a cathedral - he was probably on duty whilst the precentor took his break. Three miles is not so very far away - even in 1916

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think that Shirley backs up my hunch and so I agree that is the most probable explanation. Thanks again everyone.
                  Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
                  X