Recording tree details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording tree details

I am currently building my tree on Ancestry but I do not subscribe to them.
    Therefore I was wondering if there is somewhere else or other software on which to store the tree. I am fearful that I will log in one day and not get access and lose everything.

Currently I draw everything out in a very basic format on a piece of wallpaper!!

Any ideas?

Stu

Family Search has a free program you can download called PAF.

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Stuart,
      I think you will find that the majority of us recommend that you keep the master copy of your tree on your own computer.

There are various programs that you can use, some free and others which you would have to buy.
      The two most popular commercial ones are probably Family Tree Maker and Family Historian, and the two most popular freebies are probably PAF and Legacy.

We have some links in the wiki which may help you with all of these
      Family Tree Maker
      Family Historian
      Personal Ancestral File (PAF )
      Legacy

They all perform more or less the same functions. By keeping the tree on your own computer its security is totally under your control and you are not dependent on a third party such as Ancestry to keep your data safe.

If you wish to continue to have a tree on an external site such as Ancestry or Tribal pages then you would export a data file from your program on the computer, known as a gedcom file, which you would then upload to the external site.

If you need any more information about any of these programs then just ask.
      Elaine

Comment

The one I use on my own computer is MyHeritage. You can also publish it to the internet if you want to. privacy options are available. I've made contact with quite a few people from that site after publishing the tree. It's free until you have a few hundred people on your tree you have to pay to put the whole lot up. I've not looked into how much it is but so far I've managed just fine with the free version.
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

thanks Guys,
          I will explore the options.

Stu

Comment

Ok...

I think I will try Legacy.
            Is my tree on Ancestry saved as a GEDCOM?

and if so how do I transfer it?

So many questions................so little time..lol.

Comment

You will need to download it as a gedcom file, and then open the gedcom in Legacy.
              Elaine

Comment

Find your tree on Ancestry and click on the Overview tab.
                On the right hand side, under the TOOLS heading, click on Manage Tree
                On next page click on Export tree - which then downloads the file in Gedcom format
                Elaine

Comment

Instructions in the wiki for importing gedcom file into Legacy
                  Importing a GEDCOM into Legacy
                  Elaine

Comment

..........wish I had kept an eye on the posts!!

Just got lost on Ancestry...lol.

Thank you. I will try again using your advice.

Stu

Comment

Sorry Stu, might have helped if I had put it in one post rather than three! :o
                      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine,

Its all sorted!
                        And I changed the Christening/Baptism setting as per your advice on another thread.
                        I feel saver having control over my data.
                        I appreciate all your assistance.

regards

Stu

Comment

You could also use Tribal pages (free but you can upgrade eventually if you want).

TribalPages.com - Free Family Tree - Genealogy

I've got 3 trees on there - as I like to keep things separate. 2 are free ones and 1 is paid.

You can put privacy settings to keep it private or public though living people are not searchable.

You can invite people to view your whole tree and give them a viewers password.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Remember to do regular backups and if you are like me, keep a paper record too!
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                            X