E-book downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-book downloads

Just come across this interesting publisher's site; they've scanned a load of historical books, which are available for download at fairly reasonable prices and are consequently searchable.

Anyone whose library has a MEMSO subscription or who can access Athens through a university should be able to access the books free of charge, as I understand it.

If you don't have such access, you can run a text search on the site, but it will only give 10 results.

I've found a book of American historical manuscripts that I was looking for, which will cost me $CAN 20 (about £11.00) to download, which is a lot cheaper than it'd cost me to buy the actual book.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-02-09, 17:51.

Thanks Mary.......................I think.

Now is there anyone who could do my ironing or sweep the floors while I play with this new toy??????lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      Just come across this interesting publisher's site; they've scanned a load of historical books, which are available for download at fairly reasonable prices and are consequently searchable.

Anyone whose library has a MEMSO subscription or who can access Athens through a university should be able to access the books free of charge, as I understand it.

If you don't have such access, you can run a text search on the site, but it will only give 10 results.

TannerRitchie Publishing: Historical Sources Online, on CD-ROM and on DVD-ROM | TannerRitchie Publishing

I've found a book of American historical manuscripts that I was looking for, which will cost me $CAN 20 (about £11.00) to download, which is a lot cheaper than it'd cost me to buy the actual book.
      I take it then you have not been on the Anguline site?
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I had a look at it ages ago, Guy, but I don't think there was anything listed that I specifically needed at the time, although I'll have another look now you've reminded me. I do use your Quorn marriage transcriptions an awful lot, though - thanks very much for those.

The c18th American manuscripts on the Tanner Ritchie site were what attracted my attention - there are dozens of references in them to my ancestor Jonathan Mallet, and it would have cost a fortune to buy the actual books.

Comment

OK, I've just had a look at the Anguline site, and there's nothing that specifically relates to my research as far as I can see.

One great advantage of the Tanner site in my opinion is that you can search the available books online, to see if they contain anything of interest. They give you a small snippet from the book, a bit like Google Book Search or Amazon Search Inside, which is just enough to show whether the book might be interesting, but not so much that you don't need to buy it.

I found the site because I found some references to a book on Google book search, and clicked from there on Abebooks to see if I could find it. Abebooks had Tanner listed as a supplier of the book on CD, and from there I went to the website and discovered that they had downloadable books at half the price.

Comment

Working...
          X