FMP at the library!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP at the library!

You probably already know, but I just found out my local library does (free) access to FindMyPast. I doubt it will include 1911, but who knows?!

No prizes for guessing where I'll be on my days off lol
    There's a lot I'd like to find out with regard to immigration and stuff so I'll probably be there all day anyway!

Wonder how many other libraries have access.
    Tracy

Whenever I log onto the computer at the Nottingham Central Library, it says there is access to findmypast but you have to ask a librarian for details. I did ask at the info desk but they said they didn't know and I would have to go and ask at the family history desk, but that's up loads of flights of stairs so I didn't bother. I'm guessing that at Nottingham library it might be only on a certain computer that you have to book, but one of these days I will make time to go and find out! My local library is closed till the summer for renovations, otherwise I would have asked about it in there by now. I must make sure to find out before they put the 1911 into their subscription package - though of course we don't know whether it will be added to what the libraries get.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The website for mine just says ask the librarian for the username and password.

Just realised I don't actually have a library card up here, except one for my son lol Just applied for one online, so will hopefully have that soon.

I always knew they had Ancestry, but never knew FMP was on there too.

I was actually looking for access to the Times, but I don't think they have that
      Tracy

Comment

Sadly, my local library has withdrawn access to Ancestry and Gale, on grounds of cost. I believe the county library still has Ancestry though.

OC

Comment

Tracy

I have also managed to get access at Middlesbrough Central Library. They told me not to go too mad as they only had so many credits. When I did manage to get on I could only view one page and after that there was a problem accessing the site.

Sadly no access to 1911.

Is this the library you go to??
          Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I'll try not to go too mad :D
            Hopefully, there won't be problems. Will have to think of other things to look for. Do they have World Ancestry? I have a few American things I need too lol

Yes, Middlesbrough would be the one I use.
            Tracy

Comment

This thread has prompted me to see what's available at Bedford. Can't get FindmyPast but the NBI CD-Roms are available so I'll have to make a visit some time.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I'm not sure about world Ancestry at M'bro but when I've been on ancestry library edition elsewhere they had American records.

Have you been in the reference section at M'bro - I have recently found out they have 'Evening Gazette' on microfilm so have managed to find a few death dates for my lot.
                Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

Comment

Ancestry Library Edition is pretty comprehensive, though it may well have an American-orientated home page. My only experience was via an open door in a US library, long since closed.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Newcastle and also North Tyneside libraries have Ancestry,com. I have traced some USA census for some of my rellies we emigrated to USA. I had to pay for prints, but I could have stored the records on memory sticls.

Well worth while

Anne

Comment

my local library has free access to ancestry. A thread a couple of days ago was asking about access to the times on line. I couldnt access it at home so when I went to town yesterday I popped into the library and they said I was on the wrong website. I was on lincolnshire instead of north east lincolnshire. So I now have access to the times on line at home.
                      Next time I go I will try for findmypast just out of a point of interest but I wouldnt think they would have that as well as ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                      X