Murder in the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder in the family

I have just received my GG Grandmother's death cert and have now confirmed the rumours/stories that have gone around the family for quite a few years.

My GG Grandfather strangled his wife... at last, something juicy in an otherwise pretty mundane family tree. So now I need to find out his sentance...
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Perhaps the local paper, or if it was reported in The Times we can all have a goggle at it!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The murder was in Portsmouth, Hampshire. 8 October 1904. If you can find anything I'd be really chuffed, so far my google search has given me zilch.

John Tom Burnett wife is Elizabeth Mary (nee Anderson)
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I can't see anything specific in The Times, but the paper does reveal that the Western Circuit assizes for Hampshire were opened on 24th Nov 1904, so that would be a good place to start (as well as immediately after the date of death) to see what happened next. The assizes included one murder charge and three manslaughter charges.

Is that John's death in 1929 aged 73 in Portsmouth?

Comment

There's a big piece in The Times of 2 December 1904. PM me your address for details.

Comment

Merry, he was sentenced to death but the jury recommended mercy. It was referred to the Home Secretary.

Comment

John was born 1855 so it could be. TBH I hadn't seen that one. I will have to follow it up.

What does that mean about the Western Circuit assizes ? any idea where I would find it? Record office or local reference library?

It's a sad person that's as happy as I am about a murder LOL
              Jules

Comment

UJ I can't believe you found this, and so quick too. PM has already been sent to you.

THANK YOU
                Jules

Comment

If you have access to The Times digital archive, select the date 2 December 1904 and the keyword Winchester. For some reason the report on page 5 doesn't have his name as a keyword.

Comment

The Times, Friday, Dec 09, 1904; pg. 6; Issue 37573; col B
                    A RESPITE.-John Tom Burnett,

burnett.jpg
                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine...That's the one.

UJ I take it access to the Times costs? I will have to look into getting this I guess, although until now, I didn't think I would ever need it.

Are you still sending the piece by email?
                      Jules

Comment

The law certainly moved a lot faster in those days.

Comment

Jules - an email awaits you. It's worth finding out whether your library does have access to The Times digital archive. Some do, some don't. All I needed was my reader's ticket and a PIN number.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Jules - an email awaits you. It's worth finding out whether your library does have access to The Times digital archive. Some do, some don't. All I needed was my reader's ticket and a PIN number.
                            Excellent thanks UJ. I will be there first thing Saturday morning banging on the door to be let in
                            Jules

Comment

It made excellent reading. Thankyou everyone for helping me with this one. I will now try to figure out what happened to him next.

Again, many thanks
                              Jules

Comment

Reading between the lines (as one does!) it doesn't seem to have been a happy marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                  Reading between the lines (as one does!) it doesn't seem to have been a happy marriage.
                                  It seems to me he did it on the only day he was sober LOL
                                  Jules

Comment

HI

Just to add that his name appears on the following website just scroll to his surname or use edit find

WendyP

Comment

thanks Wendy
                                      Jules

Comment

Newspaper account will give more detail than the assizes papers which will be at Kew.

The assizes papers for my relative just gave the names of the jurors and witnesses and the verdict and the judge - though it did say that the trial lasted 2.5 hours all over by lunchtime! The law certainly was swifter in those days, the crime was in Oct, the trial Dec. 1862.
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X